View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #247
Old Noakes
Newly Deceased

Old Noakes has just left Hobbiton.
Praise Them With Great Praise!

I would just like to say a huge thank you to the people who took part in this thread, which I have just spent a massively enjoyable few hours reading. In particular Davem who began it and of course Brian Sibley for taking part in it. I have been a fan of the radio production since I first heard it when it was first re-broadcast in hour long episodes, and it led me to read the books, and other Tolkien works. I couldn't believe it when I got to the point where Brian started posting on it!

I had many favourite scenes from the series, but my particular favourite was in the episode 'The Breaking Of The Fellowship' when the three hunters, Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli, meet Eomer and his eored who have destroyed Saruman's orcs. The scene is brilliantly played by Robert Stephens, Douglas Livingstone and Anthony Hyde. Inevitably, all the dialogue from the book cannot be used but the selection of that which is used is perfect in getting the scene across. You can feel Aragorn growing in stature as he delivers the lines 'I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the elf-stone.....' and I particularly love the way the riders of Rohan burst into derisive laughter when Gimli says 'you have have heard them called halflings!'. I looked forward immensely to seeing the portrayal of that scene in the movie trilogy, but what a disappointment was in store!

Don't get me started on the movie trilogy though..all I will say is, what an opportunity missed...
Old Noakes is offline   Reply With Quote