View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #40
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Theoretically speaking, the Balrog may have been in the service of Sauron and alarmed by him about a certain party which may try to travel through it's realm. I guess those are the most likely motives for the Balrog to confront the fellowship, aside from the discussed “Ring“-explanation.
I think the idea of the Balrog serving Sauron can be discounted. If it had been taking orders, why would it have been hanging about in a deserted Dwarf-city? Just to harass the occasional trespasser? Surely the Orcs alone were sufficient to keep Moria in Sauron's hands. I think in any case that Sauron didn't really care about Moria: he just wanted to keep the Dwarves from returning (and maybe get some mithril in the bargain).

If the Balrog had an interest in helping Sauron, one can see better tasks for it, such as leading an assault on Rivendell or Lórien.