View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 03:48 AM   #99
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rosco

"The Mayor said he would head for the Prancing Pony. So you should find him there."

These words uttered by the Captain of Guards ringing in his mind Rosco walked back from the Town Hall kicking pebbles and biting his lip. Just my luck! I was just there… But reaching the inn's door Rosco decided to try and leave his foul mood on the doorstep. You have a job to do; be polite! he advised himself and stepped in.

Warmth and the sweet smells of cooking lunch greeted the hobbit as he entered the common room. The atmosphere would have been welcoming – had there not been the scowling patrons and their low murmurs. But Rosco had endured them the first time and so he was determined to do now. He scanned the room for the Mayor Harald but, failing to find him there, he addressed a maid, asking her if she knew where the man was. The waitress, burdened by a tray of pints and a bowl of steaming soup, hastily nodded towards the back of the room where a heavy door led to one of the more private chambers of the inn.

"Thank you, kind miss." Rosco spoke and bowed in hobbit fashion before making for the door the maid had pointed at him. In front of this sudden politeness the young girl nearly dropped the dishes she was carrying. The crowd hushed. Rosco took the door handle and grinned in secret, sensing the round eyes staring at him. Finally regaining her balance the maid managed to inch her chin back on its place and stuttered "You're we-welcome, Sir…" just when Rosco stepped into the smaller room and slammed shut the door.

Mayor Harald sat in a big chair, legs stretched towards the fire. Had Rosco closed the door a bit more carefully his entrance would probably have gone unnoticed by the man who was quite obviously engaged in serious contemplation. His frown was deep and his strikingly blue eyes stared at the fire, however without seeing it. At the slam of the door his gaze became focused again and fixed on the newcomer; and for a fraction of a second Rosco witnessed a deeper frown on the Mayor's face before inexpressiveness veiled his thoughts.

"Mr. Woodfarer..." Mayor Harald began and rose from his chair, trying to figure out a proper way to greet this Little Folk leader. But Rosco made the decision easy for him by walking briskly to him and shaking his hand.

"Mayor Harald", Rosco spoke solemnly while gesturing a polite 'no' to the man's invitation to take a seat; "I give you credit for the way you handled yesterday's meeting; it was a success beyond all hopes." The hobbit stepped closer to the hearth and extended his hands towards the fire. He meant what he said but seriously doubted the Mayor would appreciate his commendation. "It is vital that the defences be repaired - and the Hobbits will do their bit in this task." Rosco continued and turned back to face the Mayor, just in time to see how doubt flashed in his eyes. The past prejudices, misgivings and misunderstandings seemed to rest like a thick fog between the two, keeping them from seeing or hearing each other properly. Harald nodded but said naught.

"But gathering supplies is as vital too.", Rosco went on before the silence turned awkward. At these words the Mayor stirred uncomfortably and then spoke out loud what Rosco already knew;

"I have spoken with Mistress Woolthistle about this same matter and I gave her my word to do my best to help. But we need all spare men for the renovations..."

"This is not the problem as we can handle the gathering; we have both wagons and folk for the task. The real problem is that the roads don't seem to be safe anymore..." And Rosco gave a short account of the previous night's happenings. As he finished the Mayor eyed him a while before answering;

"What do you want me to do? As I said already I have no men; no men to patrol the roads day and night. The defences..."

"The defences are useless if the outlaws can walk the roads freely whenever they wish!" Rosco's voice rose menacingly before he could control himself. Taking a deep breath he tried to calm down before continuing; "If they realize there's no-one to even try and block their way then what will keep them from walking right in before you have even began the repair?"

The Mayor seemed reluctant to admit the truth behind the hobbit's words. Fiddling his red neckerchief he paced across the room couple of times before forming his answer;

"I will speak with the Captain of Guards to see what we can do. And the Rangers...they could also help in this matter."

Rosco wasn't all that pleased with this promise but he knew also that it was the best that could be expected. The two shook hands again, both noticeably relieved that the awkward meeting was over. Rosco took to the door but turned back once more before pulling it open;

"I will ask my brother how he feels about the Rangers doing the patrolling. But one thing is for sure: no-one walking those roads should be unarmed." And with those words he left the room.

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]