View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #1187
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

"Probably." Aman had arrived behind Snaveling just as she heard him say the last sentence. The man froze then, very slowly, pivotted around to see the Innkeeper, arms crossed, standing behind him, her face blank. He looked rougher than when she had last seen him, she noted: a thin layer of stubble covered his chin, and his previously neat hair was scruffy and unkempt. His clothes, though clean, did not seem quite right either, as if they did not belong to him: and they were certainly not the fine vestments she had last seen him wearing. The fact they were covered in straw was a little suspicious as well...

"Aman...." Snaveling began, his voice unusually hesitant, his dark eyes skittering around her face - another new development, she thought with more surprise. Uneasy. Last time he was all confidence. Why, I do believe the old Snaveling has paid us a visit: rough and unshaven, uneasy and attempting to avoid me... And he was - trying to avoid her, that is. The Innkeeper had no doubt of that. Cook had mentioned his arrival, asking whether she had spoken to him yet. It hurt that she had heard from someone else. It hurt that he sent mixed signals.

"Good morning, sir, you wanted to help? The trestle tables are almost laid out, but I believe there are a few still inside: if you ask Merrimac, the stablemaster, I'm sure he can help you." Aman's voice was impassive, impersonal, stiff, as if he was a normal customer, and her eyes stayed locked on Snaveling's. He looked puzzled, his brow creasing for a moment, then he just continued to regard her, waiting for an explanation. Aman couldn't help thinking he looked ready to run. She paused, then rolled her eyes, uncrossing her arms, relaxing. "Snaveling, you do make things difficult, you know that?" she said exasperatedly, raising her eyebrows. "Why didn't you come to find me?"

Snaveling still didn't answer; but a movement caught Aman's eye and she looked to the side, seeing Sakal leaning against the wall of the Inn, a piece of grass in his mouth, nonchalantly watching her. As she caught his eye, the man grinned at her, white teeth flashing in the sun, then looked away casually. Although intrigued, Aman tore her eyes away, looking back at Snaveling. Casting her eyes down at his clothes. "Snaveling..." she stopped, then smiled, her eyebrows raised again. "Go, there are some clothes in the attic that will probably fit you." He nodded and turned to go, but Aman stopped him, her hand touching his elbow. As he turned to look back at her, she squeezed his arm lightly and smiled, this time more openly, putting aside her annoyance, before she spoke hesitantly. "The horse...Felarof...he is the finest horse I have ever ridden."

The Numenorean paused, looking at her as if across a great chasm, then bowed his head slightly. "As promised," he said quietly, before moving away, through the crowds and into the Inn. Aman watched the door where he had vanished for a moment, then closed her eyes, sighing irritatedly. The cheek of the man!

"Hey." The soft voice caught her attention and she turned around quickly to see Sakal behind her, the straw still in his mouth. "Are you alright?"

Aman realised her irritation must have shown, and smoothed her face out quickly, smiling hurriedly up at the man as she brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Oh...yes, thank you. Just a...minor irritation," she added, her eyes straying once more to the door. Looking back at Sakal, she asked, "Have you seen Derufin, by the way? The groom is yet to emerge, it seems."

Sakal grinned impishly, his dark eyes glittering. "Your stablemaster, it seems, cannot hold his spirits as well as he may think. Azar and I, we...we displayed a few of the spirits of Lindon to him."

"Oh really?" Aman laughed. Sakal flickered his eyebrows up and down, still grinning, then offered the Rohirrim woman his arm. "I'll take you to the unfortunate individual, if you'd like."

"Very much so, thank you." Smiling, she took his arm and they began to walk inside. After a moment, Aman's face grew serious and she said gravely,"Sakal, I must ask: what exactly have you done to my stablemaster?!"