View Single Post
Old 07-08-2001, 03:50 PM   #53
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Jallanite's sugestions - His response

As to exact assignment of chapters, I think that awaits a look at the finished materials to see how things flow. For now this is the &quot;Fall of Gondolin&quot;, an independent work, and includes as an epilogue narrative up to the departure of Tuor and Idril.

I was not planning to suggest any stylistic changes, merely indicating that changing text for stylistic reasons would be facing different issues altogether than what I was doing: making a list of possible emendations and mergings of source texts to produce a base document. If I was merging two texts of approximately equal size in very different styles I would probably have had to face that problem.

The only thing I might have found bothersome stylistically in combining texts was the issue of capitalization: when to use &quot;north&quot; and when to use &quot;North&quot;, when to use &quot;sea&quot; and when to use &quot;Sea&quot; for example. I ignored the issue and simply followed the document I was using as a source. Seeing if general rules can be ascertained from JRRT's useage might be worth trying.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000212>jallanit e</A> at: 7/8/01 8:34:10 pm
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote