View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 11:35 AM   #22
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Or maybe when Pippin picks up the palantir, there will be a group of archers at the stairs, a slumped Grima over the railing of the balcony and Saruman lying broken and dead on the steps/wheel/machinery. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Or perhaps Grima's killing of Saruman will be implied and Pippin will be scavenging the ruins and find Saruman dead, palantir in hand. He'll remove said palantir and see Grima overhead in Orthanc, looking down at the scene...of course this begs the question of where are the archers...Pippin could be scavenging when they arrive.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>NO reason (speed) to take Paths of Dead, NO tension in Ride of the Rohirrim...not even Aragorn's challenge to Sauron in the plantír which explains his too-hasty attack (they cut loads of stuff like this to dumb the films down, and it suffers noticably for it because it make them seem stupid).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I suppose this tension depends on when and "where" Aragorn looks into the palantir. It appears from some of the preliminary photos, that Pippin steals it at Edoras. Sauron assumes the scene is at Orthanc, due to the palantir's presence, and that perhaps the halfling Ringbearer has been captured. This would speed up Sauron's efforts in itself. Right after that (I hope they don't wait too long!), Aragorn looks into the palantir and Sauron fears the Ring is in his hands and he means to challenge him. Aragorn made himself known to Sauron as Isildur's heir and shows him Anduril, thus validating the claim. This speeds up the need to strike at Gondor, and quickly, before Aragorn can get from "Orthanc" to Minas Tirith with his "army," before the Rohirrim can be mustered to help, etc.! I hope that makes sense. I can see it working, but yes, it will be rushed and a lot left out. Maybe the Paths of the Dead is just the quickest way to raise an army that hasn't been recently decimated (Helm's Deep). I'll judge when I see!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote