View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #1
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien God and Lord of the RIngs

As you may know, J.R.R. Tolkein was a devout Christian. He wrote his books, especially Lord of the Rings, in relation to the events in the Bible and tie in with Christian beleifs. I myself am a dedicated Christian who gets very offended at all the occultic ideas about Lord of the Rings. I was in a bookstore the other day in the Lord of the Rings section, and I saw a pack of Lord of the Rings tarot cards. I have also seen other things like that, but the point I am really trying to get out is that Christopher Tolkein did not intend for his works and spectacular imagination to be used for occultic purposes. There is a huge problem in our society that is people are ignoring the truth, and giving into temptation and turning their backs on God. I will start by comparing the ring of power to sin. It seems nice, but corrupts and transforms the bearer mentally, and in the case of Gollum, physically, and once it is destroyed, all it's influence and damage is undone. Sauron compares to the devil, and the orcs are his demons. Saruman can relate to corruption. Think of Gandalf as he fought the Balrog at the Bridge of Khazad-Dum. He sacrificed his life for his friends fighting evil. That can be compared to the death and ressurection of Christ. Tolkein also made the power of spoken word important in his books; The spells Gandalf uses and the language of the elves, it can be similar to the Holy Bible. The different people of Middle-Earth relate to different people in our earth. Christians are represented by the elves, and they go to the Grey Havens/Undying Lands which I think can be like Heaven. The last statement is not entirely accurate, seeing as Arwen stays when all the other elves go, but it's a good metaphor isn't it? Speaking of metaphors, I am aware that J.R.R. Tolkein disliked allegory and metaphor, but he did write his books around the Bible and Christianity etc. This is what he intended to do in his books. I'm just trying to say, Look for the truth in Lord of the Rings. The occult is bad company.
I am truly sorry if I have offended any people by this topic(we christians get what we deserve for how a select few act). I am merely expressing my opinons and beleifs, cause i myself have been changed, and Billions of people in the world would back me up in these truths(I am also aware that billions of people would be against me). If you write a reply, feel free to express your own opinions, but please don't send any thing threatening. I'm only fifteen. Namaarie,(farewell). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

P.S. If you like this topic, let me know, and I'll be putting more insight into the topic with my own replys.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]