View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #72
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
It appears to me to represent a deliberate attempt to mischaracterise my position by taking the sentence completely out of context of all my previous ones.
Certainly it is annoying when someone misrepresents one's clearly stated position - I can only quote the start of my earlier post (number 9) on this very thread:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb

I have been told that my suggestion of some kind applicability of the Lilith myth to Shelob is a no-no:
I think my exact words in the current chapter thread (post 51) were:

Quote:

I wouldn't deny your right to find any kind of applicability in the text. My point was that I can see more differences than similarities between Shelob & Lilith.
I take your point & will attempt not to do it again, because I acknowledge how irritating it is when someone comes on these boards & puts words in your mouth which you personally would never utter.

Quote:
is it possible for your form of enchantment to miss the authorial intention.
Well, this is the whole issue in a nutshell - trying to guess the author's intention, & what kind of 'spell' he or she wanted to cast. Certainly if we go in with that in mind we'll never experience any kind of enchantment, so the question becomes moot. I don't know what kind of spell Tolkien wanted to cast - in the sense of the precise effect he wanted to produce in me. But I'm not talking about that anyway - its a secondary phase. The first, & most important phase, is the direct experience.

Quote:
Quote:
That seems to me to be simple logic - but then I never went to college.
This kind of statement I think equally does not belong in this discussion. No one here in this discussion has ever made any statement which insults readers who are young, who have not had post secondary education, or who simply take delight in story. Nor is this the first time a comment which appears derogatory about other people's reading experience has appeared in your posts. I think it is vering towards personal attack and I would ask that you stop making such comments.
If you could tell me how what I said in my little aside could possibly constitute a personal insult please do. Perhaps you're bringing too much baggage along & reading things into what other's write which aren't there?

Or perhaps, in your own words to Drigel (post 41):

Quote:
drigel, I had hoped that my use of smilies--the wink and the big grin--would have made clear the comedy of my ironic intent. Perhaps humour is being edged out by seriousness here.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote