View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Yes, Garstan, my man," Eodwine smiled gravely, "I will have you with me, and I would be proud to have you at my side." He clapped the slightly shorter man on the shoulder. "Thornden and Garwine will remain behind, and will guard this hall. I would that I had more men at arms, but none other have put themselves forward and the time has been short. Be that as it may, I think your children will be far safer here than you will be on the chase.

"And mark you, though you may have little skill in weapons, there will be other needs along the way that your skills of mind and hand will fit to most rightly. And Garstan, I swear on my honor and lordship from the King, that if only one of us must return to the mead hall, that one shall be you and not me. So I have spoken. Do not say me nay. I will keep you safe with my life."

Garstan's eyes widened and his face reddened with emotion. He bowed wordlessly before Eodwine.

As Eodwine led Haleth to his rooms, Falco Boffin fell in step long enough to say, "That was a mighty fine speech back there to the stoneshaper. You'll make a proper lord yet."

"My thanks for your endorsement," Eodwine smirked.

"I'll keep your larder and spirits under watchful eye while you're away," said the hobbit with a wink.

"No doubt you will! Leave some for others!"

Eodwine showed Haleth into his rooms and they sat down on each side of the small table in his room.

"Would you like some wine and bread or other fare while we talk, Haleth?"

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-13-2006 at 08:42 PM.