View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 AM   #91
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

His heart heavy with grief at what he must do, Melost watched until she was out of sight, then turned and made his way to where Thelian and their horses waited. A dozen women were in the group, along with two heavily-laden carts pulled by large draft horses Thelian had persuaded some of Isildur's soldiers to let him borrow. Despite his sorrow Melost had to grin. HIs kinsman was far too wily for his own good sometimes and he was grateful for Thelian's resourcefulness.

Two horses, one a cream-coloured palfrey with an intricately braided mane was led up, his intelligent gaze and easy manner declared itself to be Menelya's horse. The other was a fiery light-boned creature that stepped daintily as though walking on egg-shells. Night-black and brushed to a sheen, Melost was drawn to the little stallion, knowing that he had to be Anwenemle's horse. He remembered the few times that they had ridden out together and how he had admired her way with the animals. He sighed as he caressed the silken muzzle. "Iluvatar...how can I do this, now that I have seen that she in truth still cares? Yet I have foreseen my end. Mighty One...grant me the strength."

A sudden sound of bickering fell on his ears and he turned to see Anwenelme and her mother at last coming to finish out their group. The other women smirked and tried not to appear amused, but failed miserably. They knew well that Menelya was not happy with the arrangements and exactly what she thought of Galadriel. This ride would prove to be most entertaining!

Melost bowed to Menelya as she swept up to him, confrontation written all over her face. He took her hand and complimented her on her punctuality, then led her to her horse, took her by the waist and placed her in the saddle. She flushed with annoyance, yet felt flattered that he had attended to her personally. She smiled at him briefly, then urged her horse over to join the others ladies.

Thelian, Arthain and Dorlas mounted swiftly as Melost went to join Anwenelme. She smiled, her love for him there for all to see. He gritted his teeth, then smiled in return. He hesitated but a moment, then took her in his arms and kissed her with all the love in his soul, knowing that this would be the last time their lips would touch. As he pulled away from her slowly, not wanting to release her, he saw tears standing in her eyes. "I have always wanted you to hold me like this, Melost." she whispered as she rested her head on his chest. The pain in his soul was almost too much for him and he kissed her forehead, then lifted her up into the saddle. His hand rested on her waist briefly, then he kissed her hand, his lips lingering there. He felt her other hand caress his hair and he looked up into her eyes. "Soon my beloved, soon you will know all that is in my heart." he said. She smiled down at him as he went to his horse and mounted in one graceful movement. he nodded to Thelian and they began their journey south-ward.