View Single Post
Old 06-28-2003, 09:58 AM   #95
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

The day had dawned gloriously, with white clouds rampant on a field of clearest blue as the small company set out. Thelian and Dorlas were riding rear-guard, much to the delight of Dorlas, who kept his eyes firmly fixed on Menelya's servant-girl, while Arthain and Melost rode at the head or opposite flanks of their charges as they watched their surroundings closely for any sign of enemy, particularily orc-ish encroachment.

The Hithaeglir rose tall, strong battlements against the outside world, on their left and the Bruinen could be discerned leaping its way south-ward on their right. Added to this was the merry laughter and hushed whispers of the ladies as they chattered and gossipped with each other. As Melost watched them idlely, it occurred to him that he really shouldn't be feeling as morose as he had been. Perhaps under-lying thoughts and fears had so far clouded his mind as to cause this darkness to cover his soul. He reflected also on his treatment of Arthain. Arthain had acted with all honour toward Anwenelme and yet Melost had felt threatened. He resolved to speak with Arthain again that night.

He tightened his knees as he urged his horse forward, only to be over-taken by Arthain himself who was in a glorious mood. "Melost! This land is more beautiful than I had imagined it to be." His eyes shone as his horse pranced impatiently along-side that of Melost, eager to be off. "After the war, I would love to settle down in a place like this. Fertile soil...clean water." Melost grinned at him. "Just to the south it is said there are men who live on the wide open plains and have the most intelligent and fastest horses in all of Arda. I'm certain you would like to see them one day, would you not?" Arthain laughed aloud, "Of course I would! You know me well, in fact, let us go and see them together after the war, what do you say?"

The openness and joy on Arthain's face put to shame the questions in Melost's heart. He reached out and clasped arms with Arthain. "After the war...." he said with a note of sadness in his voice. "Let Arthain have this dream. It may be that such dreams will carry him safely through the horrors which are yet to come." As they rode and talked, A rider broke away from the group of ladies and came to join them. Arthain whistled in appreciation. "She rides well, Melost. You are to be envied. She has beauty and a quick wit..." He then turned to Melost and looked at him keenly. "Are you certain you do not wish to marry her? Do not do or say something in haste, my friend and lose that which you treasure." Melost returned his gaze, seeing the depth of concern that Arthain has for him. "I will think on your words, Arthain. Yet the dilemma before me becomes no easier. I thank you for your wise council, my friend."

Anwenelme rode up to them, her cheeks flushed with the morning air. "Greetings, my fine nobles! Is the day not delightful?" Melost felt his heart melt at the sight of her, her hair loose and blowing in the gentle breeze that blew off the mountains. "How can I in love chain her to one who is already dead? I cannot..." Melost smiled back at her, then held out his hand. "Come, ride beside me. Let us enjoy this day together, for all too soon...I feel there will be a change."

[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: Cuthalion ]