View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 05:47 AM   #66
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Iswyn giggled at this last statement, nodded her head solemnly, then rethought and shook it instead. "I don't have any brothers." She said, conspiratorially, "but there are boys around here sometimes. Dirty creatures." Theora laughed and Iswyn rolled her eyes dramatically. Hopeless really, boys.

By the end of the stack of mugs Iswyn was more than satisfied with Theora's company. How could she help but be satisfied when she had a companion who was content to wash mugs and laugh while Iswyn told stories and giggled and sloshed water clumsily on the floor. After a particularly large wave leapt over the edge of the dishpan, a loud cry interrupted Iswyn's story.

"Iswyn! The Floor!" Froma's lips twitched at the corners as he pointed at the puddle that had formed around Theora's and her feet. Iswyn dragged a bare toe through the puddle (having abandoned her shoes hours before) and drew a little swirl of water on the floor. She snuck a glance at Theora, whose eyes were wide with terror, and her cheeks unnaturally pink. The towel Froma had slung over his shoulder was roughly shoved into Iswyn's hands. She winked at the other girl, before folding the towel neatly and setting it on a counter.

"Aww, Froma, we're gonna wash it later." she said, carefully trying to keep the grin off her face, and not entirely succeeding. Theora squirmed beside her and Iswyn nudged her with her elbow to look up. Froma's face was twitching in a way that was oddly akin to suppressed laughter.

"Well, girls, Mistress Bethberry said you were to have a break and a treat... but I'd better see that puddle cleaned up first." He noted the flash of excitement in Iswyn's eyes and neatly redeposited the towel in her hands. "If you want strawberries and cream before they're all gone, I'd get a move on."

Iswyn exchanged a delighted glance with Theora. "See, Froma yells, but he's not mean." she whispered, as she passed Theora the towel and went to fetch another. "He just likes to pretend. He can't fool me." The two girls giggled as they set to drying the floor, the promise of strawberries hurrying them along.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!