View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #24
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Four->Two and Two->Each One Alone

Quote:
Another reason that I like the division is that in Book 3 we see the more epic side to the struggle and learn of the great deeds of nation states and various races within the war, while in Book 4 we learn of the great deeds of individuals. Of course, it is not as quite as clearly cut as that, but the broad approach of each book follows this pattern; Book 3 is epic and Book 4 is intimate.
An interesting train of thought is here: the theme of division tears the four hobbits two by two away from each other (Frodo and Sam are separated from Merry and Pippin). The Fellowship is fractured, and so is the storyline. Book Three ends with the division of Pippin from Merry; Book Four with the division of Frodo from Sam. Things become even more intimate, as each hobbit is forced to act completely independently of his compatriots and rely more on his own instincts, sense of right, etc. This is my own hobbito-centric view of the tale and it struck me as interesting in light of the discussion of storyline separations here.

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote