View Single Post
Old 12-18-2004, 09:37 PM   #24
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
“I’m going,” Adranel stated. “I had already decided that.” But rather than getting up and standing beside Sjorging and Gelding, she stood a little apart. She made it clear that she was not going because Sjorging said so, but by her own choice. Beluf, too, stood up, saying, “I’ll go.”

“All right, then,” said Sjorging. “We had better get moving. The Gondorians are leaving.” He and Gelding turned and walked together towards the Gondorians. Beluf followed them, but not without one last look at her. Adranel knew that he had been trying to figure her out since she had come back to camp last night. Mostly there was confusion in his face, but also some hurt. Adranel wished she could make him understand that it really was for the best, but she had no way to put her convictions to words. Maybe he would understand some day. If she had had her choice, she would not have come back to their small encampment at all, but she had no where else to go and so ended up sleeping near their tent.

Adranel trailed the men by several yards as she trudged along through the snow. Several times she caught Beluf darting glances back to her, as if considering waiting for her to catch up and then thinking better of it each time. Adranel was both glad and disappointed: she did not want company, but at the same time she yearned for companionship. These were lonely standards that she had imposed upon herself, and so she hoped to reach Gundabad soon, for then she could return to Dale alone. If she returned at all. The expedition of the soldiers, she decided, was a good representation of her life: while driven and not without point, it was an absolutely hopeless cause. Their fates, too, would likely be similar: ending in utter despair in which quick death would be welcome relief. Adranel sighed. With only these gloomy thoughts for company, it was going to be a long day.

Last edited by Firefoot; 12-19-2004 at 07:28 AM.