View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Interesting thread, Durelin!

In your latter post you speak about the love the Elves for the Earth and that they yet have this yearning to leave for Valinor. I would like to point out that not nearly all of the Elves have this yearning and not nearly all of them went to Aman when their summons came. The greater part of the Elves staid where they were or turned aside from their path to Aman in during their journey. Those that did go to Valinor and saw it's splendour and the Trees were glad of heart to have come and to see such glory. But of all think they loved, off all things they loved in Aman or in Middle-earth, they loved the starlight most.
When they came Middle-earth it was all in battle with Morgoth and later with Sauron, there were only short periods of time (for Elves) that they had peace in Middle-earth, yet they still remembered the full bliss of Valinor, which would ever be now that they were no longer on the World and now that Morgoth was in the Void. But since they loved the Earth they only left at the last moment. Tolkien writes that the Elves leave Middle-earth when they get tired and wearisome of it, but I don't think that Tolkien ment tired and wearisome for their love of middle-earth, but for the marrings and troubles it had. When leaving they knew that in Valinor no such things occured now that Morgoth was no more.

Quote:
In my mind, Valinor is an 'in-between' sort of place. It is a taste of heaven, yet within the boundaries of earthly dwelling.
Let's not forget that in the stories Tolkien wrote about Arda, and I speak mainly about the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion, there was always battle and despair. Tolkien never fully describes Aman in full bliss as the Elves see it, the greater part is about the battles and the Silmarils. I do not think that Valinor should be thought of as a near-paradise region in Arda. Valinor in full bliss will be great indeed if the Elves are willing to leave Middle-earth for it.

And last I want to say that I fully agree with Son of Numenor about the fate of Men. It is unknown, and that's why most people dread death, but indeed hope their best hopes!

Greetings, hoping to have contributed,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote