View Single Post
Old 02-06-2001, 07:21 PM   #13
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: a reply

Lindil:
Re Celebrimbor a Teler:
No, not Shibboleth, PoME 'Dwarves and Men', Note 7 (page 318) .

Re movements:
I will post something on the movements of Galadriel and Celeborn in a few days if you like.

-----------------------------------------------
Quothe Lindil:
In one version [last?] eol is ironically a tatyarin [ie noldor who never left ME] elf.
--------------------------------------------------
Eol was mentioned as a Tatyarin Avar in 'Quendi and Eldar' (ca. 1968) . But in 'Maeglin' (ca. 1970) he is again a Telerin Sinda (though not kin to Thingol); and in a note dated 1971 JRRT noted that Eol being kin to Thingol 'would have a point' (see 'Maeglin' in WotJ esp. page 322 and also end note 33 to 'Quendi and Eldar', page 420).

-----------------------------------------
Tar Elenion have you/ read a copy of the Osanwe-Kenta?
It is an amazing section CRT left out of XI.
--------------------------------------------

Yes. I am quite pleased that some of the linguists have access to and are publishing some of these still unpublished writings (though at a very modest rate, there is actually a 'fuss' in the linguistic community about some of this being 'held back' for too long; there still seems to be a wealth of pertinent 'historical' information to be mined from JRRT's (still unpublished) linguistic writings).

------------------------------------------------------
I think in the last years JRRT put great emphasis on Galadriel's ...
------------------------------------------------------
Very much last years. As late as January of '71 he said &quot;I was particularly interested in your remarks about Galadriel... I think it is true that I owe much of this character to Christian and Catholic teaching and imagination about Mary, but actually Galadriel was a penitent: in her youth a leader in the rebellion against the Valar. At the end of the First Age she proudly refused forgiveness or permission to return [which was not granted her as per RGEO]. She was pardoned because of her resistance to the final and overwhelming temptation to take the Ring for herself&quot;, Letter 320.

My own take on it is that with the 'sanitization' of her character (ie her removal from all association with the rebellion) it lessen the impact of her eventual 'change' from simply proud and ambitious prince to a 'simpler' noble person 'fighting the long defeat' in a struggle to 'atone' for a (possibly mis-) perceived errors. If JRRT had gone through with the changes I think it the setting of a Ban on her return and holding her accountable for deeds in which she had no participation as rather contrived.

-------------------------------------------------------
An interesting point is that saulotus [and one or 2 others I have met or heard tell of] favor a final conception only policy whereby MT would be the guiding light and anything that got in the way would have to go. the LotR would also be revised . Too bold for my blood but consistent and idealistic ,in a way.
---------------------------------------------------------

I am curious as to how LotR would need to be revised in a Myths Transformed scenario, I have not noted very much in it that is not compatible with LotR.

Tar-Elenion The High Elves had been in the hands of the gods praising and adoring Eru 'the One', Iluvatar the Father of All on the Mountain of Aman</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000211>Tar Elenion</A> at: 2/7/01 6:50:59 pm