View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 11:44 AM   #60
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Walking slowly, both because the room was full and because she wanted to take everything in Theora walked to the kitchen door. There was singing coming from more than one person, and not all tuneful. Men, women and children laughed and talked all around her. It got loud at home, but it was a very different sort of noise when you had three younger brothers. Theora's eyes went quite round. A loud grumble from her stomach surprised her. It seemed like no time at all since she left home in the morning, but dawdling through town had taken a while. Suddenly she registered the growing dusk as she had come into the inn.

Mama would be cross, she thought sadly. Mama will never know! The second thought cheered her so much that she grinned at a youth standing near. He blushed and turned away.
"Ooops" Theora whispered, giggling to herself quietly. Quickly she darted through the kitchen door.

It was like entering a different world. It was very hot, and the smell of all sorts of food made her stomach grumble again. But it was still loud, mostly from the common room next door, and no-one seemed to hear.

Gazing around Theora spotted a slightly grumpy looking woman at the fire. She looks a little scary, Theora thought. There was something strangely familiar about her too. She giggled again suddenly as she realised that she seemed a bit like Mama! The noise seemed to have caught the ear of a younger woman, who looked up from her work and smiled. Theora smiled back. The girl kept smiling, Theora kept smiling.

"Yes?" the girl asked.
Theora blushed. "S-sorry" she stuttered. "I was told to get some food and then help Iswyn. I'm going to be working here now"
Once again she found herself smiling hopefully across at someone. It seemed to be becoming quite a habit!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link