View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #83
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Roused by Raefindan's concern, Bergil's first reaction to Indil's disappearance was purely instinctive: he began to search for tracks. Even as he was fumbling with his swordbelt, he was examining the space where Indil had been sleeping, and saw, to his dismay, that Indil had apparently wandered off of her own accord.

Bergil knew, from experience in Ithilien, that Elves are near-impossible, if not completely so, to track, and if Indil had been accompanied by an Elf, as he feared, remembering the escape of Tharonwë, she had not been coerced forcibly, but had walked off on her own feet.

This was unlike the girl, Bergil thought grimly. Indil had never evinced the slightest inclination to wander or leave the company, but had rather sought the reassurance of being kept close, mainly to himself or Raefindan. Then it occured to Bergil that what had initially brought Indil to their company had been her apparent wandering away from home.

Cursing himself for not anticipating another such episode, Bergil pressed on, out of earshot of the camp, rather foolishly leaving the others without a word. His left hand was tightly clasped on the pommel of his sword, strapped to his side, as he surveyed the trail. Indil had moved slowly, not hurriedly, and her trail gave no sign of fear or confusion, but led surely away from the camp, as if she knew where she were going.

If that vile Elf had caught her, Bergil feared to think what he might have done. The thought of an Elf who was not only powerful enough to break out of the King's prison, but dangerous enough to need to be put there in the first place, was not only frightening, but seemed a particularly gross aberration of nature. Even so were the first orks moulded, so the tales said, from Elves twisted by the Dark Lord. Bergil shuddered, remembering half-forgotten images, sounds, and the rotten stench of the siege of Minas Tirith during the war, and of more recent memories forged on the boundaries of Ithilien, where orks still came down from the Ephel Dúath to harry the returning settlers.

Thoughts of such evil, combined with the potent skill and power of the Eldar race, gave speed to Bergil's thumping heart, and slowed his steps with caution. If he were to encounter Tharonwë, the young ranger knew not what he might do or try, for he knew he was no match for the Elf alone, but fear for Indil and anger at her apparent capture would not permit to do nothing in her aid.

Bergil had not gone far when he reached the point where Indil had stopped. Though the only signs of the Elf's presence might be interpreted in hundreds of ways, as nothing more than the action of wind or the natural growth of the underbrush, Indil's marks were clear: the girl had been lifted off the ground, and from her marks, had continued from the area with less freedom to her steps. They were more harried now, as though she were keeping pace with a much taller person, and while they lacked firmness of purpose, they led in a straight line as though some other force were directing her steps.

Bergil straitening, pausing, not certain what to do. His instincts, after years of training in Ithilien, urged him to continue while the trail was hot, and he burned to think of leaving Indil in Tharonwë's grip any longer than necessary, but he knew he could not help her alone, and that the others would worry if he went missing also. With regret, and yet with relief at not having to pursue Tharonwë just yet, Bergil returned back to the camp, arriving not fifteen minutes after he had left.

As he came into listening distance, he could hear Erebemlin speaking to Mellondu. "You have a doom on you with Amroth, he does not. Be grateful that he offers to find your sister in your stead." Glancing about, Bergil could see that he was the last of the company to regroup.

"I'll go with Ravion," Liornung was saying.

"As will I," Ædegard added.

"Then the rest of us," Raefindan said, "will go after Tharonwë. And Ravion can track us and rejoin us. Is there any objection?"

"Only this," said Bergil, rejoining the group quietly. "I have found Indil's trail, and I have no doubt in my mind that it is Tharonwë that has taken her. If this is so, then would it not be better to have as many as possible to combat him?"

"More swords will not help in such a fight," said Erebemlin. "Raefindan's doom seems tied to that of Indil, and he would not suffer to go on another errand. Mellondu and I have a duty to Amroth, and we, Amroth and I, alone can fight Tharonwë. If the others wish to seek the ladies, their absence will neither hinder us nor help us. You, Ranger Bergil, I would prefer to aid us by helping track them, as Ravion wishes to seek Mellonin. You can follow Tharonwë's trail?"

"He drags Indil by the hand," said Bergil, "and as long as he continues to do so, I shall have no difficulty."

"Then let us depart, for Tharonwë has already had some hours to put space between us."

Grabbing his gear from the ground, Bergil began to hurriedly collect his bedroll and other supplies.

"And you, Aeron?" Bergil asked the boy, "I have not heard clearly, and Erebemlin did not include you in our number, but I believe you wish to come with our party?"

Last edited by Formendacil; 08-20-2007 at 01:46 PM.