View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #22
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
I have had these for some time and . . .

I listen to them going back and forth to work probably once or twice a year. I love the adaptation here. I find that the dramatizations of these bring out a more visual representation in mind, then listening to the books on audio (which I own and also listen to in the car).
My children from about age 8 up (especially my son whom I have successfully raised and a Tolkien fan) prefer the dramatizations to the movies! It is the dramatizations that got my children to read the book from beginning to end.

My one critique, and I'm sure I'll hear about this, is Ian Holm's version of Frodo. Overall, I really admire and like his representation. There are parts though, were I thought he came across almost like a spoiled teenager, and they stick out to me.

I wish that Peter Jackson had followed along with the flow of the script in the movies that the BBC presentation/script had. I felt they edited the parts that they needed to, while still retaining truer to the story than the movies. Overall, like I have said, I am very, very happy with the production.

One last note. If your looking for them to listen to, check your local library if you live in a semi-decent metro area. Most libraries have or can get a copy to check out.

In terms of knowing what you can and cannot post on a place like YouTube, I would invite anyone to understand and know the Fair Use Laws of the U.S. This site from Texas provides some basic guidelines:

http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/intellec...y/copypol2.htm

Cheers,

AJ
ArathornJax is offline   Reply With Quote