View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 02:53 AM   #13
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Quote:
Sorry for the earlier test. It was no comment on your post H-I!
I know [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Sorry for my remark, if it made you think I was throwing barbed words in that direction. Just a remark, nothing more.

Aiwendil, I see your point, and can not argue against it, what with the lack of textual evidence. So it was agreed in the voting to remove round earth completely. Still, as it goes with voting, I felt inclined to let my personal taste preveil in the case. I honestly think the whole bulk of cosmological legends should be presented as [though elven heritage] come to modern times
through men, and as most things come to us through centuries, broken and perverted.

Quote:
From a letter to Katherine Farrer

I like the Flat Earth versions best. The hope of Heaven is the only thing which makes modern astronomy tolerable: otherwise there must be an East and a West and Walls: aims and choices and not an endless circle of wanderingThe hope of Heaven is the only thing which makes modern astronomy tolerable: otherwise there must be an East and a West and Walls: aims and choices and not an endless circle of wandering.
I'm drawing hard in what I'm going to add on feelings rather than on facts (which ran as "I like tha Flat Earht versions best" - strict statement. On the other hand, the text immediately following pours the water on the wheels of my mill)

But breaking the truth knowledge received from elves and clinging to thing which gives more hope than the "astronomical" truth ever could, which is more "tolerable", is just the thing human being would do.

Emotiaonal speculation of yours truly, but that's the ground of my vote for removing Pengolodh and Rumil and stating "the legends are [inherited form elves but] human", at least as a footnote.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote