View Single Post
Old 07-12-2002, 06:11 PM   #177
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child woke at the first rays of dawn. She had slept poorly, but was determined to get an early start. She slipped out of bed and put on her clothes, hoping to head out to the library just as the first bells of the city began to rang. She knocked on Rose's door and roused the young hobbit to come with her.

The two ran down to the galley and took a few items left over from the night before for a quick breakfast. Angara and Kali were the only other crew members awake and on deck, watching the sun rise. Child began to cross over the gangplank, when she was suddenly stopped by the dragon. Angara pulled her back by lifting her up by her skirts and depositing her in the stern of the ship.

"Take a look, Child," said Angara in an almost wistful tone, "And you'd better tell Rose and Kali to come."

A small sailing vessel pulled near as a tall lady covered with cloak and hood emerged. Angara offered a ride on her back so the Lady could come to their ship.

When the woman gracefully slid off the dragon's back and pulled back her hood, there stood the Lady Idril. Without hesitation, she walked up to the hobbits and hobbrim. In her hand, she held what appeared to be the remnants of an ancient scroll. She bent down to Kali and kissed him on top of the head.

She immediately spoke, "So you have figured out some pieces of the puzzle and are determined to sail to Beleriand. And you have learned something of the secret lore of both Beleriand and Numenor. Because you and your friends have puzzled out these secrets through your own reason and will, there are some small things which I may share with you now."

Child wondered how Idril could possibly know these things, but she did not question. One of the Elves from the Blessed West surely had resources not known to a simple hobbit.

Idril reached out and handed Kali a small, broken scroll. "This is one of the most ancient parchments in the library of Minas Tirith. I have taken the liberty of securing it for your use. Child, you might have found this on your own, but it would have taken many weeks of searching. And I fear that we do not have many weeks left. For certain events must come at a certain time and place, or else they come to ruin."

"You have learned on your own where you must go and some of the physical dangers you may face. But there is more to it than this. The Elves in your crew and even Lord Mithadan understand, I believe, whom you must face. For each of these families has an ancient ancestor who fought against the Dark."

"But you are hobbits and hobbrim, which means that both your past and your destiny are hidden from you. Read this scroll and understand. It is in the language of the Elves which was widespread in those days even among the servants of the Shadow. I have also put these words into Westron so you three may understand as fully as any Elf what is said here. I do this because I want you to understand the Evil that you face."

She inclined her head to look at them with a touch of sadness, "You three may see things which bring grief to your hearts. I want you to remember that I cared and still care for your people, and Kali's, very much. But sometimes things do not turn out the way we hope and plan."

"Do not be afraid. If you and your friends see this journey through, you can do your part to bring a small sliver of light into the world." She bent down and kissed each goodbye.

"I must depart, since Tuor and I cannot follow where you now go. Please give my love and respect to Lord Mithadan and all of your friends."

She turned to leave, but then hsitated for an instant, "Please tell the Elf Piosenniel that I hope she may find peace in her heart. Ask her to be gentle with herself and, I am certain she will find her way."

Child's eyes were wet with tears as she saw Idril return to her boat. Child then glanced down at the paper. It was an order sent to a field commander in the year 510, ordering him to seize and imprison the hobbits who had made their home in Gondolin. Although crumpled and torn, the scroll was signed in letters clear even to Child's unpracticed eye. At the bottom was the name "Morgoth".

[ July 13, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]