View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #275
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Vanwe

For what seemed the hundredth time Vanwe nervously smoothed the silken folds of the elven dress that had been fitted her. She stood before the door of her fathers chambers, staring intently at the grain of the wood trying to draw courage. She had come to tell him of her intention to leave with the rangers and Léspheria when they continued their search for Naiore. She was unsure just how the bard would take the news, he had already all but warned her not to pursue her mother, but she knew in her heart that if she could not heal her mother she must at least help to see that she could bring no harm or suffering to others. She hoped her father would understand this.

Taking a deep steadying breath, she finally knocked on the door, when no answer came she knocked again. It was then that she noticed that the guards that watched the door the previous day were not present. “Father!” she called, knocking again with a little more urgency. “Where are they?” She panicked, “why does he not answer?” She turned her head looking up and down the hallway, hoping to find someone who might answer her concerns but the passage remained silent and still, the occupants of the house still in restful slumber. Thoughts of her mother raced though her mind, her eagerness to have her return with her father, the compulsions so strong that she had almost succumbed to her mothers will. In blind panic, she hammered on the door calling out her father name praying that he was but asleep and had not heard her earlier call.

But still no reply came, giving no thought as to what she may find Vanwe threw open the door and rushed inside, the room twin to her own was empty and looked as if it had not been occupied at all, there was no sign of a struggle as she had feared, but now her fear was replaced with confusion. “Were could he be?” she mused. Footsteps outside the door suddenly drew her attention and she darted forwards hoping to find the bard returning to his room, but only succeeded in startling a young elf that had come to air the room and change the linen.

“My apologies,” She sighed disappointedly, “I meant not to startle you, I had hoped you were my father,” she explained turning back towards the empty room dis-heartedly.

The young chambermaid frowned in confusion, “You don’t know… I mean no one has told you?”

“Told me what?” Vanwe asked turning back to the elf her eyes shining with fear and concern.

“Lord Menecin, Miss Vanwe, is no longer here; he took his leave of the house sometime yesterday and has not been seen since. It is said that he seeks the one responsible for the attack at the river, an elf miss they say, can you believe it!” the elf answered.

“I’m afraid I can,” Vanwe replied regretfully, a mixture of fear, anger and concern sweeping over her. How could he go after her when warning her not to do just that! Could he not see that this is what she would want! What if she had found him and killed him already! Panic filled her and her eyes widened in fear, “I must find him!” she cried as she turned and raced down the hallway to find the one person she was sure would help her, leaving the bemused elven chamber maid to stare after her in confusion.

Reaching her destination, she pounded heavily on the door. “Come,” came a sleepy voice from within and Vanwe entered to see Léspheria standing by her bed blinking the last vestiges of sleep from her eyes.

“Vanwe, what’s wrong?” She asked seeing Vanwe’s distraught features.

“He’s gone he’s gone!” is all she could manage as fat wet tears finally rolled down her cheeks. Léspheria came to her, “Who’s gone?” she asked wrapping her arms around the younger elf in an effort to comfort her.

“My father,” she sniffed. “He has been missing since yesterday. Oh, Léspheria he is looking for Naiore, I fear the worst, we must find him. What have I done for her to hate me so, first she hides me away in the desert , leaving me to suffer at the hands of the Haradrim, then she snatches me from the inn just as I find comfort and friendship and now she would take him and any kinship I may have, it‘s not fair!”

Pulling her to arms length Léspheria steadily held her gaze, “Listen to me Vanwe you have done nothing but want what should have been your from birth, family and kinship! No matter what she cannot take that from you, you have family and kin that will always be here for you. Your father too bears not fault, only that he loved your mother and for that, he has already paid a great deal. No Vanwe do not fault yourself, the fault is with Naiore and she alone must live with this.”

Stunned by the sudden strength in Léspheria’s words Vanwe wiped away her tears and nodded.

“Now come we must look for your father,” Léspheria smiled reassuringly. Vanwe waited as Léspheria threw on a forest green dress and strapped her sword to her waist, then lifting a small bundle from her dresser she handed it to Vanwe.

“I believe this is yours.” Vanwe blinked as she recognised her own pouch that she had lost when her mother had snatched her from the inn. She nodded her thanks and tied it to her belt, leaving the contents unchecked for now. Then together they left in search of the missing bard.

Last edited by Nerindel; 08-02-2004 at 06:22 AM.