View Single Post
Old 05-09-2001, 07:10 AM   #100
KM Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

KM Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pile o' Bones
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Starry, starry night

Galenwen heard the faint echo of a horn blowing somewhere in the pitch darkness ahead. She counted nine blasts, then there was silence. What in Arda could that be? she wondered. She heard a faint hissing directly to their left.

&quot;Stay with me, Andy,&quot; she said as she entered a downward-sloping tunnel. There was noise of dripping water, and the hissing noise grew louder. She reached out with both hands, and found that the tunnel was no more than five feet wide and made of stone, sloping steadily downwards. She saw a faint light ahead, and made for it. She could no longer feel any walls, but she looked up and saw stars overhead.

&quot;How long have we been in here?&quot; Andy whispered. &quot;Is it night already?&quot;

&quot;No, Andy,&quot; Galenwen answered. &quot;These are no stars that I have ever seen. This is some spell of the Barrow-wight.&quot; She turned, thinking to go back the way they had come, but the tunnel was nowhere in sight. The dark plain they stood on stretched unbroken to the horizon under the eerie stars. There were ruins here and there of ancient stoneworks.

&quot;It's no use wandering around in this,&quot; she said as she took out her lyre. &quot;Sit down with me, Andy.&quot;

Andy and the elf-maid sat down together on the cold, hard ground. Galenwen strummed her lyre and began to sing.

&quot;A! Elbereth Gilthoniel...&quot;

</p>