View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 03:59 AM   #26
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Post #12 re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 12_30
when on the bench we raised up our boast,
saviors in hall, about hard battle;
Now may he who would be bold be tested.
You've got a point, sure

Cf with the Council of Elrond A/B bickering:

Quote:
B: Mayhap the Sword-that-was-Broken may still stem the tide – if the hand that wields it has inherited not an heirloom only, but the sinews of the Kings of Men.'
A:`Who can tell?' But we will put it to the test one day.'
B:`May the day not be too long delayed,' said Boromir
Yes, I know that it is Boromir who does the boasting, but he does it, in a way, in Aragorn's stead - the passage would have been weaker if it were Aragorn to boast an ability to 'stem the tide', but it would not have been less plausible. It would be more so, in a sense. As it stands, it underlies Aragorn's calm confidence (as opposed to movie Aragorn, who would not be so calm about 'testing day'). But Boromir acts as is a warrior's way - he puts into Aragorn's mouth words he would expect from his equal - from another warrior, and the answer is both 'right' and 'wrong' - it is wrong that it doubts itself (who can tell), but in this doubt reveals more than a mere warrior in Aragorn (i.e. one without assurance, on trust (estel) ready to make battle) , but is 'right' in a sense that boast to 'put it to the test' is a 'right' warrior answer.

I suppose, following mark, that similar interchanges may have been a-plenty along the road.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 11-24-2004 at 04:03 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote