View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #40
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Is there any hope of redemption by The SaucepanMan
Darn fine thread that, though I say so myself.

I understand your reasoning, Fordim, but I am not sure if the Amon Hen 'effect' can be deduced from the experiences of the characters that you refer to because I do not see its influence as affecting its surroundings. As I see it, its effect only impacts (if at all) on those who visit it at the time that they visit.

Frodo's resolve to go to Mordor alone does not come to him at the Seat. It was there all along, even when he left the company. But his visit to the Seat (as well as his encounter with Boromir) does go towards confirming what he knows deep down is the 'right' thing to do, so to that extent he is affected by its influence.

Nor does Aragorn find his resolve at the Seat. He finds nothing there, and continues to despair after he has departed from it. As I said earlier, it is not the function of the Seat to make Aragorn's choice for him. He must do that for himself (although he does have support here from Legolas and Gimli and is aided by his subsequent knowledge of what has befallen the other members of the Fellowship), so I agree with your reasoning in that regard.

As for Boromir, well he never visits the Seat, and it has nothing to do with his repentance. That comes from within him, when he finally sees the folly of his erstwhile plans.

So, I am not sure that we can draw many conclusions as to the nature of the Seat from what happens to the characters before or after they have visited it, or from those characters who do not visit it at all.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 11-25-2004 at 11:44 AM. Reason: To clarify point
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote