Thread: LotR2-TTT_Seq23
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
As nice as it is to have Book-Faramir at last, I don't get what exactly it is that makes him change his mind, too. Sure we can sense that he didn't really like his decision beforehand, but now he sees Frodo almost handing over the Ring to the Nazgūl and this makes him come to the conclusion: "Hey, let's send this weak creature into Mordor. He will surely take better care of it than the descendants of Westernesse could in Minas Tirith."
My understanding is that the intention here is that Faramir finally sees the power and corrupting influence of the Ring and so comes round to understanding why it should be destroyed rather than used against Sauron.

But I agree that it makes little sense that he should conclude that Frodo is the best person to accomplish this on the basis of Frodo's deranged behaviour. Perhaps it was intended, as alatar suggests, that Sam's approach is what instills confidence in him.

As many know, I am able to overlook much in the films that others find inconsistent, implausible or just plain irritating. However, I would have to agree that this particular scene makes little sense and is probably the most ill-thought out adaptation of the three filmsl.