View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
A very fine actor indeed. I must get around to watching some more of his Hammer Horror roles one of these days.

I read his autobiography a number of years ago and it was a very interesting read. He had a very full life. Some favourite anecdotes included him lying to his Air Force superior in the Second World War that the reason he needed shore leave in Africa was to visit a business associate of his family who he claimed, needing a quick lie on the spur of the moment, was a brylcreem salesman - pilots were somewhat mockingly known as the "brylcreem boys" back then. There was also a good story about him being woken up as a youth when his mother was having a party downstairs to be introduced to some of the guests, specifically so that, for the sake of posterity, he could know that he had met the men who killed Rasputin.

I believe he was the only cast member in "The Lord of the Rings" (possibly the only person involved in the production altogether?) who had actually met Professor Tolkien.