View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
Boots

Finally replying!

Not to worry, I have no intention of deleting anything! I'm incredibly sensitive to eliminating anything permanently and therefore keep things archived. I'm very glad you appreciate the older effort, though. It's quite nice of you.

Here are my responses to "Chapter 1":

Firstly, have you listened to the updated MP3 version or just the embarrassing one that's still on youtube? I ask this because I have later re-recorded that chapter sometime in 2011, and fixed issues - however - neither of these now reach my current 2014-standards and I dearly wish to re-do this chapter in the near future.

Thank you very much for your detailed notes, I will of course remember them next time I'm ready to record this one final time. Usually these slip-ups occur when I have a hard time pronouncing a sentence as fast as I want to, so I subconsciously add or detract words, and I don't even notice! I promise!

Ohh, yes... the "nasturteeyams". That's a giant faceplam moment. My 2014-self apologizes for my 2010-self's laziness to fix it or do any research.

It's quite possible "September THE 22nd" might very well be a British thing, but since you find that to be more natural, I'll have to remember it for the re-record.

"DROUGHT". You have no idea how much I hate my reading more and more, every time I hear that mispronounced. Very, very early on in 2011 someone corrected me, and my lazy 2010-self only caught up to fixing that issue in the fall of 2011. I sincerely apologize. In fact, just a week ago, I fixed "The Forbidden Pool" chapter by having to re-record just one line... about "a draught of wine". I'm furiously trying to see where I said that and make amends.

I'm delighted to find out that you are enjoying hearing the voices!

I agree, the sound effects can get too loud throughout most of the audiobook, and it's an issue I've not ignored. Since 2014-Me knows a thing or two more about audio mixing, when the chance comes, I definitely try to lower the volume (but still make it sound loud and exciting). I also agree about the crowds - If I had it my way, I would have recorded every sound from scratch and not have had to pick effects from a pre-existing sound library. When I get to re-doing Chapter 1, I will take that into consideration.

Ah, here's where we disagree a little bit. I particularly like the effect where Bilbo's voice is heard from a distance, I think it's quite interesting to be able to pick "camera angles" with only sound, and I rather think it makes the speech more awkward, which in my opinion works perfectly. Indeed, listening to Chapter 1 again - you make a great point about Bilbo and Frodo's voice. I'm actually thinking of changing it a little once I get around to re-record it, because I think it's possible to make him sound more distinct and "rustic". But I still think Ian Holm is an amazing Bilbo Baggins and I always try to base at least a flavor of his voice on him.

Rory Brandybuck? You mean Richard Harris as a hobbit?

noted on the pause.

I know what you mean about things sounding "Rushed". 2010-Me was not a leisurely fellow.

Charmed that you liked the ring-bit! To me, most of the characters and environments reflect the films very strongly, and I usually agree with the way they were depicted in them. Which explains a lot; however, I try not to repeat lines in the same way as they were said in the movies, because usually the context is completely different.

Buts will be taken away! Also, of course, another added word I didn't even notice I added, "and".

Again, we will disagree here. I definitely feel that the tune for "The Road Goes Ever On" in the movie is the quintessential version; however, I would like to know what your quintessential tune for the song is. perhaps a link somewhere from another recording?

the thing about Merry and Pippin's voice is - of course - that I truly imagine the way they appear and sound in the movie, when I read the book - but, that aside, as you have mentioned it does get a bit harder to distinguish who is talking, and my diversity for hobbit voices does get limited. I totally understand that Merry and Pippin have completely different accents to Frodo which is very strange considering the shire being such a small place, but I think this suspension of disbelief is relatively safe.
I'm so, so disappointed that none of the early radio LOTR dramatizations survived. I would have loved to hear them, especially since Tolkien had a few things to say about them.

And lastly, thank you so much for commenting on this chapter. I really appreciate it and it gives me valuable notes on how to improve it for the last re-recording I'm planning to do soon. Thanks as well for all the compliments! It's very flattering and I'm happy just that you were entertained and amused.

(in fact, I'm currently 60% finished re-doing Chapter 2, which requires some laborious changes - especially Gandalf's voice which I got around to doing much better during "Return of the King" in 2013.)
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote