Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

BW: "Borthond was a cool guy, but I really miss Salavas"

Sharku: "Where the heck did you get that quote from?"

Tar-Elenion: "It's from HoME XIII, Myths Transthorned"

"well, my favorite would have to be pippin..."

Lindil: "Why don't we have polls for threads like "who is your favorite member of the Fellowship?" anymore? I loved those."

Mithadan: "I agree"

Kate: "I'm taking the position of round earth which is verified from many sources, yes. But I am ALSO taking the intent and statement of Tolkien established in ANADUNE and carried forth in subsequent revisions (accompanied by letters of the time and afterward) that it was always round.

They go hand in hand.

If you choose to call that revisionist, then I stand with Tolkien in his 'revisionism' with pride.
Although it seems to me that in trying to piece information in, and disregarding text that doesn't fit the old models, the term revisionist is backflowing to the originator.

Examining an oft quoted text such as OF DWARVES AND MEN gives a perfect example.
They will cite information selectively from it, but hold the text as unacceptable because it damages too much of the old text.
Who's truly revising here really?

They are trying to window dress old text that in places has been abandoned or altered as shown clearly from the (to them) unacceptable sources they are pulling from. These are the creators of differing mythologies, not Tolkien.

By exemplication of comparison: they are trying to hold the text of HISTORY of LOTR as canon (RETURN OF THE SHADOW, TREASON OF ISENGARD, WAR OF THE RING, SAURON DEFEATED), while pulling information from the finished LOTR, and rejecting passages that contradict this 'established' canon.

As for what is published in LOTR concerning elvish orcs, the conclusions are stated as only assumptions by the elves.
Look again.

Concerning the 'Bad ol days', this could have valid applications several ways.
1 They were present. (Possible if the corruption of fea/hroa is strong enough to have been rendered unnatural and against Eru's law; see sorcerors, wizards, deadmen of dunharrow for other examples of extended time in Arda)

2 They were not present. (Also possible, as statements are made that are carry-overs or references to/from bygone eras. See 'those were they good ol days', 'in the days of yore', 'once upon a time' etc.)

This does not examine the possible applications from learned speech patterns (beasts), orcish mythology, possible references to a time of indirect control of a dark lord, or other scenarios."

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Durelen ]