View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 10:59 PM   #215
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lathyn found Deol stalking back toward the mill. She matched his pace and tugged on his sleeve impatiently.

"What do you want, girl? Unlike you, I have things to do. I don't have time to be pushed around by a child all day."

The girl stopped, hurt, and watched as her 'betrothed' stomped on toward the clanging mill. She considered running past him and into the mill herself. She could get her Papa to tell Deol to go himself. Then he'd learn not to ignore her!

Then again, last time she had gone into the mill by herself she had been punished and told it was too dangerous for her. Sighing, she tried again.

"Deol, my Mama needs Lairwyn. You need to go to Edoras right away!"

He stopped and turned. "What did she say?"

"That her water was cracked and that you need to tell Papa and then hurry to the city and tell Lairwyn to come back."

Deol looked into her face and saw real concern there. He pushed down his annoyance with the girl and concentrated on what she was saying. He didn't know what cracked water was, but it sounded bad.

"Go back inside, Lathyn, and help your mother. I will ride as soon as I have told your father," he said, and watched her run back up the path.

He, in turn, sprinted to the mill and found Aldhelm overseeing the grinding.

"The stones need oiling, Deol," was his greeting.

"I will do it when I return from Edoras, sir, but just now your wife needs a midwife. I am riding to find Lairwyn."

Aldhelm turned to his apprentice, excited. "It is time now, is it?" He beamed and then a look of worry settled unto his features.

He took Deol by the arm and led him out into the sunshine where the grinding of the giant stone would not interrupt their conversation.

"How close is she?"

"I don't really know, sir. Lathyn said something about cracked water."

The miller chuckled. "I think she meant broke. The water has broken. Ah, then it is soon indeed. Take Leothal, then. He is fast and will not tire on the trip to town. I hope the midwife does not mind riding without a cart."

He handed Deol a bag of coins and patted him on the back.

"Take these coins to her, and tell her the babe is on its way."

They strode up the path together, Deol stopping at the stable and Aldhelm making his way to the house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Deol found Lairwyn's house without difficulty, and soon they were on their way back to the mill. Lairwyn eschewed a cart in favor of her own steed since that would bring them back to the river more quickly.

"I am only glad she was not stabbled at the Horse," she said as she saddled her mare.

"Why not?" Deol inquired.

"Did you not see the smoke? The White Horse's stable was aflame earlier. The horses bolted. Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt, at least not that I have heard."

"Bethberry will not be happy to hear of this fire, I shouldn't think. She was supposed to stay at the mill tonight."

Lairwyn frowned to herself. "I will have to serve as both midwife and friend in her stead. Bethberry is needed in Edoras."

They passed the gate guards easily, as Deol was well-known to them, and were soon hurrying back to the mill. Haste was needed, for there was both news and an infant that needed delivery.