View Single Post
Old 11-26-2003, 08:17 AM   #217
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lairwyn placed the leather reigns into Deol’s hands as she slid off the back of her tan mare. She stood still for one moment and collected her thoughts as the boy led the horses to the stables. Maedlyn would surely be nervous about this birth, and Lairwyn would have to work with precision, strength, and care. The breaking of the woman’s water concerned her slightly. If the child did not come soon, they might face the possibility of infection.

When she reached the house, the door was open and held by Bethberry who greeted Lairwyn enthusiastically. “Thank you, Bethberry. Deol and I rode as quickly as we could. I’m afraid I have to be the bearer of some disturbing news.”

“Please, come in, Lairwyn. Have a seat and tell us the news.” Maedlyn called from the small, sunlit kitchen. The woman had remained out of Lairwyn’s sight until this point, and the midwife looked deeply into Meadlyn’s eyes. The pregnant woman wore a strong face, but fear was behind her gaze. With a slight nod of understanding, Lairwyn lowered herself into the offered chair.

“Bethberry, I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but the barn at the White Horse was ablaze this morning…I’m sorry.” Lairwyn reached across the table and gently touched the innkeepers arm.

Bethberry remained silent for a moment or two before she turned to Maedlyn and took the woman’s hand. “I must go and tend to the inn. Will you be alright?”

“Of course, I will…go. You have work to do.”

“Don’t worry…she’s in good hands,” Lairwyn said confidently.

With that, Bethberry nodded and strode from the room and the house. As soon as she was gone, Lairwyn turned again to Maedlyn. “How are you feeling? Do you feel any pressure?”

Maedlyn nodded. “They’re coming closer together now.”

“Good, the time is coming then. Here let me help you into the bedroom.” As Lairwyn offered her hand to Maedlyn, she glanced up and caught a glimpse of Maedlyn and Aldhelm’s daughter peeking around the door. She pretended not to notice her. “Is Lathyn about? I could use her help.”

“I’m here, Miss Lairwyn!” Lathyn spoke up slowly as she revealed herself.

“Oh good, I’m glad. Do you think you could help me today getting your mother ready for the new baby?” Wide-eyed, the girl nodded. “Good. First help me take her into the bedroom. Then, you need to put a pot of water on to boil, and I’ll need any extra sheets you can bring to me. Okay?”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Lairwyn smiled warmly at the girl before turning her attention back to Maedlyn who was now on her feet and, with a little help, making her way to her bed for a long, hard, and joyous event.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:13 PM December 05, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]