View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #13
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Here is some background information for my character Andreth and her family. It is possible that one or two other family members may have some role to play at a later time, so I am including a general description of the household. I know this reads like a post, but I needed to get a handle on the girl in my head.

Dagnir and Elenwe ranked among the most talented artisans in Bree, skilled in the craft of weaving and the fashioning of elaborate embroidered tapestries. Their hangings adorned the counting houses of the richest burghers in the city as well as nearby homes of landed gentry, both those belonging to the little folk and to their own kind.

Their own fortunes were considerably more modest. The door to their workshop faced the street and generally stood open during the day. The family lived and slept in the small but pleasant quarters above. They had a daughter Andreth who was strikingly pretty, just twenty-four years old. Their younger son Brandir had recently enlisted as an apprentice to serve several of the Rangers. He was valued as much for his potential as a healer as for his prowess with the sword.

It was Andreth, however, who must claim our close attention. She was naturally athletic and skilled with the bow. Still, for reasons that will be made clear, she was not as outgoing as one might expect of a happy young maid. She could be dreamy, hiding within herself, reluctant to expose her feelings or ideas to others. She'd lived with her parents for many years, using her skilled fingers and sharp eyes to produce fine cloths and wall hangings. In most respects, her life had been quite ordinary.

Still, the neighbors thought differently. For they had much to say about this family of artisans. It was true that no one could point to any improper behavior on their part. The parents were respectful of all customs and authority. Yet, there was an air of secrecy about the family, as if something strange was going on underneath. Some even charged that the father had wandered off on an adventure in his younger days and ended up meeting a band of silvan Elves.

Nor did the parents make matters any easier by some of the tales they spread. Dagnir claimed, more than once, that his own stirps had fallen far from where it had once been. No one could make any sense of this, since, as far as anyone remembered, the Man and his kin had lived humbly within the artisan community of Bree.

But the greatest irritant of all, as far as the neighbors were concerned, was the behavior of the girl. She was secretive and distant, and seemingly possessed knowledge and vision of her craft that went far beyond her elders. Many wondered how someone from a humble artisan family could have acquired such a gift. But then, they grumbled, what could you expect from a wild young maid with a mop of red curls and green eyes, which always seemed to have a fey look about them!

As a result of all these whisperings, Andreth was not happy. She'd heard too many rumors, too much name-calling, to be trustful of her neigbors. She did have a few friends among the less conventional hobbit tweeners, who seemed to accept her as she was. Still, the girl was looking for a change, wishing and hoping that she'd find a way to get out of Bree. Then an unexpected messenger arrived at her door in the form of her brother who'd come to spend a few days at home. He bore news of a most disturbing nature.......

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]