View Single Post
Old 04-02-2002, 04:15 PM   #12
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oops, sorry about that... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, I don't think much more can be said on this matter, but I believe the main reason people read great authors like Tolkien, H.G. Wells,or Theodore Sturgeon just to name a few is the sheer depth and profoundness of the story and characters not found in most other works of science fiction or fantasy. These authors, Tolkien in particular, take a plot, make up some characters and weave a beautiful and original piece of art that makes the readers actually care about the trials and tribulations presented to the characters, as well as the characters themselves. What causes people to gravitate toward Tolkien is the immense intelligence and layered nature inherent in his works from the beginning. Just read some of the threads in this forum which analyze symbolism and hidden meanings in the sagas of Middle-Earth and you will see what I mean. On the other hand, when was the last time you read a Star Trek novel (if ever) and exclaimed,"Oh, I see! The planet Dorkus represents the angst and pain of the universe and reveals it's evil side."?(Sorry, that was lame. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) My point is, there is no symbolism or depth in many of the pathetic excuses for fantasy/science fiction that show up today. This may be the biggest reason that "mainstream" audiences shun the fantasy genre in favor of more "mature" reading. Unfortunately, they don't know what they're missing.