View Single Post
Old 04-03-2002, 10:32 AM   #26
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Quote:
It was something he did because he wanted to, and because he believed that there is power in such myths.
Quote:
Most post-Tolkien fantasy is simply terrible. Few of Tolkien's imitators seem to understand what it was that made Tolkien's work great. They imitate only the superficial elements.
I agree with what you guys said about Tolkien-imitators. They write not because they feel like they have something to say, like Tolkien did, but rather because they feel like they have to say something. They simply don't possess the passion that TOlkien did for his world, nor do their tales have the emotional richness, wisdom and true heart. Since they themselves wrote their stories for superficial reasons, how can they expect any reader to really care about their characters? Tolkien had the talent for making you believe in a world that may or may not have existed-but you wish with all your heart that it had. He makes you wish you could do for others what he has done for you, wish that you could use words so eloquently to tear one's soul to pieces in grief, yet make their heart soar with joy at the same time. So actually, maybe the fact that their are so many Tolkien-imitatators out there prove how great Tolkien himself is. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," right?

Unfortunately, most people, including critics, don't see things the way you and I see them. They associate the fantasy genre with those generic, banal, mass-produced Tolkien-imitated novels. They don't realize that books like Tolkiens on the pedestal of Fantasy, that they are definitely above the rest and NOT your typical tale. Sadly, Tolkien's works sometimes get pigeon-holed in with the rest of those terrible junk novels. I honestly cannot see any valid reason for criticizing Tolkien in particular -but i do understand how critics can shun the fantasy genre in general.

Quote:
So pity the poor, short sighted modern man who has lost so much of his imagination and heart in his inability to consider himself as just one among many possible ways of approaching the mystery of life.
Excellent point. About a month ago, one of my classmates, (who by the way is extremely smart and gets disgustingly good grades), said to me, "I don't read for fun. It's a waste of time." That statement made me feel so righteous, angry, and overwhelmed at the same time. It's a perfect example of where our society today is. There are also too many people i know who hate reading itself...But how does one go about trying to convince another about the importance of imagination and creativity? how does one convince someone that there are other ways to learn, besides in school? Maybe so many people underestimate and under-value imagination/creativity because they think that its for "sentimental fools and dreamers" and they feel that they don't need it in their life, since they are able to get away with achieving high and making a lot of money without having to know about art and creativity. According to them, you don't need this kind of fluff to be happy or sucessful in life. How can anyone make these people see what they're missing in life? How can I HELP these people get in touch with their imaginative side that's so deeply buried its nearly lost? That's why i was so overwhelmed-because i know that i cannot really make these peoples see what I see, nor make them understand the importance of imagination. So, i DO indeed, because it seems the only thing i can do-- pity the Common Man...the "mindless masses," so to speak, because it's their own loss in the end. Ever seen the movie Dead Poets Society? Robin Williams said something to the effect of: "Technology, etc is what keeps us alive...but art and poetry and music is what we stay alive for." AMEN to that, i say.

By the way, littlemanpoet-i've seen A.I.!! I thought it was disturbing and thought provoking too. It reflects the dark side of human nature and how we create things merely to serve ourselves. A frightening prospect, because that movie shows what the future may turn out to be if mankind continues to live his selfish ways and let greed and pride blind his reason.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote