View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #49
denethorthefirst
Haunting Spirit

denethorthefirst has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, i am aware of that. I also read the Unfinished Tales. Of course the incarnation is meant to be a sacrifice. Still, the whole suicide mission aspect only makes sense if the Valar promised to rehouse/remake those Maiar after their victory over Sauron. But, considering that the mission seems to be somewhat "voluntary", it appears to me that those five Maiar really have gotten the short end of the stick. The Valar really appear rather harsh here if you think about it and considering that the mission is voluntary, they could be a bit more lenient. It is completely understandable that someone like Saruman, working actively against the Children, would be denied a return to Valinor. But what about Radagast? If his hröa had been killed by some Orc during the War in Mirkwood or "died" because of old age a few thousand years later, then thats it? His Spirit doomed to remain houseless in Middle-Earth for all eternity? Harsh ... Same with Gandalf, if Eru hadn't intervened after his battle against the Balrog that would probably have been it? Maybe their Spirits would have been able to go naked/houseless to Valinor on their own/by themselves, but thats not the impression i got after reading.

Edit: Thinking a bit more about that, the stance of the Valar really seems hypocritical, because after all they, collectively, made the SAME mistake that Radagast made in the early history of Arda. They left Middle-Earth after Melkor destroyed the Lamps and they made Aman their home, maybe at first as a retreat and a fortress from which to renew the battle against Melkor at a later time (and because they did not have enough power to overthrow Melkor at that time). But still, essentially it appears that they procrastinated in their little paradise for over 13 000 (!) years, fell in love with the land of Valinor, the flora and fauna, and more or less forgot about their mission (to care for the Children) while Melkor ruled and ruined Middle-Earth as he wished. Even after the Awakening of the Elves it took the Valar several decades (over 40 years!) to eventually take action! And after the Awakening of Men they did even less ... probably couldn't be bothered because they were still sulking because of the Flight of the Noldor. This dereliction of duty is actually quite unbelievable and its a wonder humans turned out as well as they did in Tolkiens world, considering that Melkor had a free hand for several centuries to proceed with them as he pleased, completely unhindered by the Valar. Would it not be more than hypocritical of the Valar to punish Radagast and deny him re-entry after they essentially made exactly the same mistake, only repeatedly and on a much, much grander scale?

Last edited by denethorthefirst; 05-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.
denethorthefirst is offline   Reply With Quote