View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #200
Krumbad The Slobberer

Sting

I'm so glad to have found this thread! It's so hard to find Tolkien forums that provide comfy, easy-to-get-out-of chairs, "loaner" reading glasses, and pitchers of Metamucil on every table. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My passion for The Professor's works goes back to 1967, when I discovered them my freshman year in college. My then-boyfriend and I hung around with the rest of the campus hippies and 'heads, one of whom noticed me reading Robert Heinlein and asked if I'd read LOTR yet. I bought a copy the next day and have never looked back - still have my beloved (if slightly yellowed) Ballantine paperbacks (1966) with the acid-inspired fantasy art covers that JRRT disliked so much. Then a few years later read The Hobbit, but didn't actually get to The Sil until 2 years ago.

Like most of you probably have, I've re-read LOTR every year since then, until the books started showing the strain and were tucked safely away in the desk drawer. I actually had no idea how popular the books had become until PJ started filming them.

Have looked everywhere, but can't find my old "Frodo Lives" button... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]