View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #149
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo pondered Cami's words, and stared at the glimmering water for a while before answering.

"Cami, I fought rather hard not to involve my friends in my decision to leave the Shire. I hid from them, I snuck past them, I evaded them." He turned to her. "And you know where that got me."

She laughed. "It got you on the road with three friends firmly attatched."

Frodo nodded. "And ere the end, none of them escaped peril, turmoil, or horror. Every one of them suffered. Despite everything that I did to sheild them, to deflect them from my life and my quest. And if I asked any of them, if they would rather have stayed home after all, each one of them would indignantly rebuke me and assure me that they belonged on that quest."

Cami stared at her toes.

"Your life is woven inextricably with your friends, Cami. That's why they are your friends. Don't withdraw from them, and don't shield them; let them stand by you, even as you would stand by them."

Cami studied the hair on her toes, knowing that she shouldn't be fighting Frodo's advice, trying to absorb it.

"Cami, if it hadn't been for Sam, I'd have never made it to the end of the quest. But there's another way to look at it, too."

"What?"

"If he hadn't had to get me there, do you think Sam would have gone? And if neither of us had been there, Gollum certainly wouldn't have been."

"But this isn't about the doom of the world. This is about my private life, " Cami said.

Frodo burst out laughing, and Cami looked up indignantly.

"Oh, " said Frodo, between guffaws, "it's just my coming of age, and coming into my inheritance, that's all. Nothing of import to anyone but me; just an excuse for a party, nothing more."

And then he sobered, and fell silent, looking towards The Green Dragon Inn. The little waves whispered as they lapped againt the sandy shore. There was a long silence.

"Cami?"

"What?"

"Where is your home?"

"Wherever Maura is, " she replied.

Frodo nodded, satisfied to hear her say it, and gradually they became aware of the children laughing and playing on the hillside.

Child's post

Cami had sat silently for a minute, thinking about what Frodo had said. Then she'd turned to thank him for taking the time to talk and offered him a shy hug. She promised him to think through everything carefully, when she returned to the Inn to read Maura's letter and make her final decision.

The two of them had gone inside with the children, and spent another hour dusting and polishing and scrubbing out the burrow. By the end of that time, things were considerably cleaner, and Lorien was beginning to look a bit more rested.

The Gamgee children said their goodbys and lined up behind Frodo to make the trek back to Hobbiton. Lorien came over to thank the children for their kindness and work, and watched them with a smile as they trooped out the door.

"Coming Cami?" Frodo asked.

"No, not just yet. I want to get a hearth fire started and make a dish or two that Lorien can put in his larder. Perhaps, by tomorrow, he'll feel a little more like eating."

"See you back at the Inn for supper?"

"For sure!" she nodded, then wait back inside to start her cooking.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]