View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 10:28 PM   #67
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Siamak woke with a yawn and a stretch in a pleasant mood. Something... important had happened yesterday, he recalled. In a few moments, the previous day’s events came crashing back to memory, and Siamak shut his eyes again and pulled the light coverlets over his head with a groan, as if to undo the entire time sequence that had been yesterday. The Emissary, his new responsibilities and power, and Morgôs’ oath to him could all go away and life would be normal again. The last, which had seemed like such a good idea last night, now seemed immensely foolish, though he remembered full well his reasons. What if his father found out? The decision that he made last night had been easy enough, but now he had to live with it.

A bird twittering away outside the window caught his attention. Siamak thought that he might like to be a bird - what did they have to worry about anyhow? It seemed like a very easy and appealing life right then.

Siamak knew that he could not escape reality, however, and resignedly rose from his bed to begin the day. Soon he would have to go and meet with his mother, but there was still plenty of time before then.

About that time Okarid slipped in through the door, saying, “M’lord Siamak? Oh, good, you’re up.” He held a covered tray with Siamak’s breakfast on it and set it down on a table in the front room.

“Unfortunately,” Siamak muttered. Out loud, he said drearily, “Yes, and I will be meeting my mother sometime this morning, and the Emissary in the afternoon, and possibly General Morgôs later on.”

“Busy day, then,” said Okarid. “The General Morgôs? I was unaware that you were acquainted with him.” Okarid began to move about the wardrobe and bedroom, selecting Siamak’s clothes for the day.

“I wasn’t... until last night. After the banquet we spoke. The General offered fealty to me, and... I accepted,” informed Siamak. Okarid raised his eyebrows, clearly surprised, but otherwise took the news in stride.

“I see,” was all he said before changing the subject. “I heard about the King’s announcement - what are you going to do?”

“Good question. Once I figure it out I’ll get back to you.” Siamak sighed. By this time he was dressed and Okarid had begun to comb his hair and carefully braid his beard. “I still don’t trust the Emissary, though. Something’s wrong.”

“I caught a glimpse of him last night,” said Okarid conversationally. “He is very... interesting. He comes across as a strong personality.” Siamak nodded mutely - both descriptions matched the Emissary perfectly. Siamak did not try to continue conversation, and Okarid took the hint. There was too much to think about for idle chatter.

Siamak was soon ready for the day and Okarid had no more tasks for the morning. Ordinarily, he would have stuck around until Siamak was ready to leave his quarters, but this morning Siamak preferred solitude and Okarid left him to his breakfast. Siamak barely tasted it, concentrating instead upon his brooding thoughts. The heightened confidence he had felt late last night had fled, along with any eagerness he had to shape his own future. He should not have expected them to remain - they weren’t really part of him, he supposed, and he could only be who he was. But who am I, really? he wondered. He was Siamak, lacking confidence and wishing to be free of duty. But he was also the Prince, a title that entailed certain responsibility. Which was he? Was it possible to be both? He did not know, and felt most unqualified to be the latter. For that matter, was Gjeelea qualified to be princess? Princess, maybe, but not queen - no more than he felt he should be king. It had to be one of the two, of course, but which? Did qualification really have anything to do with it? He wished to be free of his duties, but would not that make him even more unqualified? His station was one thing he could not change, and he supposed that meant that he would have to do the best that he could. Meaning that he would have to take charge and voice his opinions more often, and now he had come in a complete circle.

All of these thoughts were rather disturbing, and Siamak did not know whether any of it mattered, nor whether he had accomplished anything. He hoped his appointments this day would make his mind clearer, for now it was a muddled mess. He knew he had to make some decision soon, in order to have any say at all in the matter. Otherwise, his only say would be in name, and the choice would ultimately belong to Gjeelea. No good.

Siamak felt that he must surely be going insane from anticipation. He only wished that it were not quite so early; otherwise he could just head over to meet his mother already. He was fidgety; he needed something to do. Seeing no readily available activities, he sprung up from his seat and began pacing, counting steps just for something to take his mind off the present situation.

He did not know how long he paced, but after a while he became aware that it was finally late enough for him to go to his mother. He might be a little bit early, but certainly not too early. He took his time in the hallways, allowing some extra time to pass, though not much, since the way was not long. The guards let him through with a word of announcement to the Queen. Gjeelea was not there yet, nor had he expected her to be, and even though he had decided not to let himself be intimidated by her, he was still relieved by her absence.

“Good morning, Mother,” he said pleasantly.