View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #31
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
First of all, thanks for your posts. They are a great contribution to this thread.

Faramir Jones

I only have one addition to your insightful post.

You already covered the aspect of biographical revelance. This story is crucial for the understanding of Aragorn's personal development and it's remarkable that Aragorn proved to be so patient. Yet if we look at the text mindful of its origin, we might find another function. If I'm not mistaken, the text the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen is supposed to be derived from source material which was originally written by Gondorian scribes and later added to the Red Book. I find it to be interesting that this text is in origin part of the official or national historiography (or myth), so to speak. The parallels to the tale of Beren and Lúthien could function as a source of legitimation for the rule of King Elessar, the Elfstone. The various marriages between elves and men were the very foundation of the western kingdoms ever since Númenor. Therefore, it's only logical to grant this tale such attention in the written history of Gondor.

William Cloud Hicklin

Thanks for the material! Those are decisive and defining moments.

Quote:
'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!

Gimli and Legolas looked at their companion in amazement, for they had not seen him in this mood before. He seemed to have grown in stature while Éomer had shrunk; and in his living face they caught a brief vision of the power and majesty of the kings of stone. For a moment it seemed to the eyes of Legolas that a white flame flickered on the brows of Aragorn like a shining crown.

Éomer stepped back and a look of awe was in his face. He cast down his proud eyes. 'These are indeed strange days,' he muttered. 'Dreams and legends spring to life out of the grass.

'Tell me, lord,' he said, 'what brings you here?
Argorn's claim rests on three pillars: His heritage, the Sword and his personal charisma. I think it's fair to say that his call also implies (!) the demand for obedience and maybe even a threat of punishment, and sure enough, it works.

Btw., I love the phrase 'Elendil!' he cried. It's almost like it's his catchphrase.

Those motifs are repeated and reinforced at the quarrel on the Doorstep of Meduseld.

Quote:
Slowly Aragorn unbuckled his belt and himself set his sword upright against the wall. 'Here I set it,' he said; 'but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.'
Here's the epitome of royal sovereignty, the power to issue a death sentence. Polemics aside, could you imagine this quote in the movies? I think that this might have the potential to alienate the audience to a certain degree.

Belegorn

Your post illustrates that Aragorn had extraordinary personal qualities and skills. His knowledge and mental steadfastness accompany his warrior prowess. Aragorn is described as a man worthy of the title King.

Last edited by Leaf; 09-16-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote