View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 09:29 AM   #217
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

After off loading the cart and settling with the new innkeeper, the young Gondorian woman who had first greeted them showed them to they're rooms. The men in her troupe helped to carry up two large gilded oak chests, then taking their leave Nerindel reminded them that they were here to work as well as have fun. "You two mind to keep out of trouble!" she said taking the southern twins into her knowing gaze.

"Us!" they chimed innocently, But Nerindel caught the mischievous glint in the young women's eyes, "Finríel, I charge you with keeping these two out of mischief!" she laughed. The Gondorian woman replied with a laugh of her own, "I will do my best but I'm not promising anything."

"We will come back in the afternoon," Hámalin told her in his more business like manner, "No hurry my friend, I'm sure the girls and Brandwin would like to see a bit of the city?" at this the twins nodded excitedly. "Evening will be soon enough." she smiled.

"Lady remember to be mindful, this may be the city of the King but even here their may be enemies!" Brandwin warned, the Grim faced Dale man always counselled caution where ever they went. Although she thought his caution unnecessary, she smiled and nodded all the same, knowing the man would not be satisfied least she did.

With the others gone, Odrin and Fastred's thoughts turned to food and fine ales, "I'm starved do you think they have Mushrooms here," the hobbit mused patting his stomach, "And maybe some seed cake!" he added excitedly. "Your thinkin' o' food when there's fine ale to be had!" The dwarf rumbled, "Come then me young friend! lets see what the Seventh star has to offer a hungry hobbit and a thirsty Dwarf?"

Nerindel and Lírësule watched the two friends with amusement, "The Innkeeper was wise not to include free drink into his generous offer!" the elf woman laughed. "Yes Odrin would surely drink him dry !" Nerindel laughed. "Odrin! Myself and Lírësule are going to have a look around, Save us some breakfast will you!" she called to the dwarf. "Aye I'll try, but our hobbit friend is already talkin' o' second breakfast!" The dwarfs roaring laughter echoed around the room, but stopped abruptly when a frowning and very sour looking Fastred dug him hard in the ribs.

Still laughing at the sight the two women exited the common room. "Did you catch the innkeepers name?" Lírësule whispered as she took in the surrounding as they passed down the hallways of the inn, "Yes, I noticed that he failed to mention it, even at my prompt!" Nerindel frowned. "But the Gondorian serving girl, Mellonin gave it, Lord Morien she said his name was" Nerindel stopped and looked round to see if her elf friend was jesting with her, "Lord Blacky, eh!" she laughed seeing that Lírësule was not fooling with her. The elf woman frowned seeing an all too familiar glint of interest in her friends sea blue eyes, "Oh no! I've seen that look before and I will be no part of it, not all puzzles need solving!" she laughed shaking her head, determined that she would not be dragged into one of Nerindel's plans.

"Oh come on it's out there plain waiting to be solved, I'll not pry, I just what to see if I can't get the good innkeeper to give it freely!" she grinned. Lírësule sighed with relief and the pair moved on to explore the inn yard.

Nerindel raised her face to the fresh morning breeze as she walked beside Lírësule, they explored the grounds, even checking in on their team of horses, who to their surprise were already groomed, watered and well feed if their contented nickering was anything to go by. If truth be told it was the elf woman who had done most of the exploring, Nerindel was lost in her own thoughts and only half heartedly listened as Lírësule meticulously memorised every entrance, exit, stairwell and out building.

"Do you think we will see him this winter?" Nerindel asked lowering her sea blue eyes to meet those of her elven friend, there was no need to say of whom she spoke for the elf woman although she hid it better, had also been thinking of their old friend. She sighed and shook her head, "I do not know! it may be that he has passed back unto the lands from whence he came, after all his task was complete and the dark one was defeated, he lingered long with us, perhaps longer than he should have?"

"Perhaps," Nerindel nodded, "But I do so miss his wise counsels."

"As do I," Lírësule smiled, " But come let us not dwell on what has passed, we have a whole new day before us and good friends to share it with." With that she took her friends arm and they passed back into the inn to find Odrin and Fastred.

Entering the common room they soon spotted the boisterous dwarf and his hobbit companion. Odrin an ale in hand beckoned them over, and as they sat down Fastred lifted his head only long enough to acknowledge their presence then lowered it to continue enjoying the mushrooms before him. "How many?" Nerindel asked raising an intrigued eyebrow, "That's his third." Odrin laughed.

"Here catch" the dwarf said tossing each of them the reddest apple they had ever seen, "Is that all you could save?" she teased, but even as she spoke two servers placed bowls of hot steaming apple and cinnamon porridge before her and Lírësule, they both nodded their thanks and as the servers drew away they turned to see a satisfied look on the dwarf's broad face.

She drizzled a little honey over her porridge, then lifted her spoon to take a large mouthful, but before she had even got the spoon half way, Odrin had grabbed her wrist, she looked at the dwarf's frowning face. "You can never be too careful!" he whispered taking the spoon, looking at her other companions she saw that they too wore concerned frowns, "But this is the city of the King!" she protested. "Did ye not listen to Brandwin's words lass, even here there could be enemies!" he whispered hastily. Realising that she would not win this argument, she reluctantly relented.

"Go on lass give us a taste!" he laughed, hiding his true intent and so as to avoid insulting the innkeeper, by suggesting his food was not safe to eat.

"Well!" Nerindel frowned after the dwarf had swallowed the spoonful of porridge, "Mmm, very nice" the dwarf grinned after a moments pause, handing the spoon back to her and nodding that it was safe to eat. "Told you!" she muttered trying the porridge for herself.

Just as she was taking the last mouthful she noticed an elven woman with three young elven children enter the inn.

"She looks familiar do we know her?" she whispered to Lírësule. The elf woman lifted her head to regard the other elf woman, "Half elven" she whispered "The Gondorian trade vessel The Star had a half elf among it's crew if I remember right, but we have only encountered that ship once and briefly so I can't be sure if this is the same elf!"

Unclipping her purse from her belt and stopping the server as he returned with the women and the children's drinks, she paid for the order and bade the man to tell the lady the drinks were compliments of the crew of the Edhellond trade ship the Silver Swan. "What are you doing!" Odrin blustered, "Seein' if the lady is who I think she is, have you not heard the stories of The Star!" she answered calmly still looking at the elf ladies table. "An' if she's not?" the dwarf huffed. "ah! stop your worrying and drink your ale." she laughed watching the server speak to the woman and point their way, The four of them raised their drinks and with warm smiles they gave a curteous nod to the elven woman, her hobbit companion and her young children.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:13 AM December 10, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]</font>

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:34 PM December 12, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]