View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #30
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Another thought, on the parley at the Black Gate: If Sauron had recovered the Ring, Gandalf as Narya's keeper almost certainly would have been aware of it, just as Celebrimbor et al had been when it was first forged.
Maybe he wasn't sure what Sauron putting on the Ring would feel like. This could be explained that unlike Celebrimbor Gandalf was never in any doubt about Sauron's intentions. Part of what was so shocking was that the elves had been deceived about Sauron's intentions and his putting on the Ring took the mask off that. If Gandalf was always in some level of spiritual contention with Sauron, similar to Galadriel, perhaps he might be unsure what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I don't know about the idea that the Messenger just happened to be on final approach to the Tower when Frodo and Sam broke the Watchers and brought it down in a hurry. That sounds a bit too convenient. Perhaps he* was instead passing over on return to Minas Morgul, and broke his journey to investigate the happenings at the Tower he was bearing word about? That's a little less... neat.
It does seem a little convenient, I will admit, but given a plausible overall scenario, which I think is laid out here, a little moment of dramatic coincidence could be forgiven.

However, I always had the idea that the Nazgul was only watching the Tower until the Watchers went off again.