View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 AM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
Was there perhaps, one wonders a connection between Sauron's connection to Aulë and the siding of some of the Dwarves with him during the Last Alliance? We know that the Dwarves adhered strongly to "family". Is it plausible that Sauron played up his connection with Aulë (a sort of High Priest, perhaps?) to draw some of the Dwarves into his service?
I think that Sauron managed to lure the dwarves because as an ex-maia of Aulë's he probably knew the dwarves' hearts better. He knew what to offer them. Did he offer knowledge on craftsmanship (or were the dwarves too proud to accept knowledge that was not theirs?) or treasure (maybe the dwarves on his side were of less famous and wealthy households and families and envied the riches of the others?) or family, like Form mentioned?

To put it bluntly, Numenorean says that the main fault in dwarves is pride. I agree that dwarves are proud and that sometimes brings them trouble, but I'd say that greed is their worst sin/trait/fault. That can be read numerous times from TH and LotR. Galadriel tells Gimli that though he will achieve great wealth, that won't spoil him. That somehow makes me think that it was not unusual for a rich dwarf to get spoiled and greedy. Thoughts?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote