View Single Post
Old 05-28-2001, 05:38 PM   #3
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: What should be changed in a New Silmarillion?

It is reasonably common for chronicles and histories to be expanded by later scribes who insert fuller material into their source either as supplements or replacements.

I would imagine then an original Quenta Silmarillion which has then been expaned by later scribes, inserting verse about Beren and Lúthien, the Narn i Chîn Húrin, Wanderings of Húrin, and the story of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin in full, and also other material at appropriate places.

I would think that this kind of expanded work is what most would like to read. If any version of an incident goes into an Appendix it would normally be a short version. This would be presented as a compilation of First Age literature and commentary, containing the long tales linked by Quenta Silmarillion joining passages and other scribal notes and commentaries and excerpts from other sources.

The work would not have to make clear which passages were from the longer works and which from the actual Quenta Silmarillion any more than real world manuscripts of this kind do in many cases. Scholars can only speculate on which material belongs to which source, what is original and what is a late addition, except in such cases as individual source documents are otherwise known.

</p>
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote