View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 05:04 AM   #193
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Maia is indeed a hefty book, but its a great read. I devoured it in a few days, reading it at pretty much any time I could. Why is it there are so many fantasy heroines called maia/maya....?

Quote:
Redwall(I used to. I stopped a while ago cause I got bored)
Ditto Kittie. I used to love those books, and when I read over them, Brian Jacques writing is still as captivating as ever, but they do get a little samey after a while. He makes some fantastic heroes though, like Martin, Mattius, Mariel, the hares of Salamandastron and the rest. Mariel of Redwall or Martin the Warrior are my favourites. Or The Long Patrol. Or Salamandastron...

One of the books I read more recently was 'Spartan', by valerios Massimio Manfredi (that is one heck of a name!). Its set in ancient Greece, mainly in and around, surprise surprise, Sparta. It is about a two Spartan boys, on of whom is born crippled, and by the harsh laws of Sparta, his father must abandon him to the elements and the wild beasts of the mountains. But by chance, this boy is found by a Helot shepherd, one of the race enslaved by the Spartans. Despite guessing the boy's heritage, the shepherd brings the boy home and brings him up as his grandchild, naming him Talos, after a Helot warrior of myth. But as the boys grow, seperately, each unknowing of the other, another twist of fate one day throws them together, intertwining their fates...

Another is Peter Dickensons 'The Ropemaker'. This fantasy book is incredible and is about a girl, Tilja, who lives in the Valley, a small and peaceful place, the only place isolated from the mighty power of the Empire. The reason it is so is because, long long ago, the sorceress Asarta gave help to two of the dwellers of the Valley, casting a spell on the place that would protect it for ten generations. But now the power of the spell is faltering, and Tilja and her companions must set out to find Asarta, if she isnt already dead, or to find the sorcerer Faheel, in the hope that the spells may be renewed and their Valley saved. But time is getting short as the Emporers army readies itself to once more attack the Valley, and to save it the companions must stretch the very limits of time and magic itself, changing the never ending rope of time...