Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2002, 05:33 AM   #64
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aiwendil:Even if we go through the painstaking process of making the style more uniform,
we'll still have the inescapable problem of proportion: a reader who spends hundreds of pages
on Turin and Tuor will no doubt be very disappointed to find the whole story of Earendil a
mere 20 page summary!

lindil: I have recently come to consider this issue from within the writings themselves. We have
almost no info on earendil and especially the War of Wrath, because much of what would be
known about it passed over Sea w/ those who fought in it. i.e. not the noldor in
beleriand./Eriador. There would have been far less time to compose something like a Narn or
Fall of gondolin, before the departure over the sea. So a compressed version makes a certain
sense. This could be part of the reason that Bilbo resorts to creating his version of Earendil's
story. maybe he could not get a full acount in Rivendell [due to ignorance or secrecy] and so
was gently chiding his host[s] Aragorn we read was not impressed.

any way it may be inescapable that we return to the principles of revision issue/ thread and try and reach as much consensus as possible before making balrog and dragon decisions.

or we can [probably better for momentum] continue to operate peicemeal and revise FoG again [!] after all/most else has been completed.

I think perhaps 2 versions of the project can exist side by side, a 'text ' version w/ no literary accomadation only updating of names anmd deletion of contradictions/obsolete's and then using that as a base have a literary version w/ either editorial glosses such as " this tale of the battle survives from the ancient 'Fall of Gondolin' preserved even in Bilbo's/Aelfwine's day in an older style of the Elf-tounge'

As for the balrog question ... it seems we have more peices to the puzzle of orc/balrog/baldog/demon puzzle than I realized. Yet there is still the clincher to my mind missing. no text in which this occurs just a series of speculations.

it seems replacing balrog w/ demon in Glorfindel's fall is there, but it feels wrong, but then again it is 3:36 am in Ca. so good noght for now.

Good to see your voice Jallanite.

lindil
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote