View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #113
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I've been thinking more about the issue I raised in question D, and I think Findegil is right that we should answer it in a general way. And after trying out various permutations in my head, I think that the best way to go is something along the lines of Findegil's suggestion. Therefore I propose the following as an amendment to our principles:

Quote:
8. a. There is no restriction on further discussion of questions that have already been decided; anyone may re-open a discussion, and is encouraged to do so if he or she thinks that a relevant point was not adequately considered.

b. A decision made by silent agreement of the members may be changed by an explicit unanimous consensus or a majority vote of the active members.

c. A decision made by voting may be changed if a new counting of old and new votes would alter the outcome or, if the active membership has changed drastically and previously unconsidered arguments on the subject have been made, by a simple vote among the active members.

d. A decision made by an explicit unanimous agreement may be changed if previoulsy unconsidered arguments on the subject have been made and the active members come to a new explicit unanimous consensus.

A corollary to these rules is that the group should try to involve as many active members in such re-decisions as possible, for which reason semi-active members should be specially invited to speak on such points.
I think that this is effectively the same as Findegil's proposal; I've just changed the language slightly to make it clearer.

If we adopt these rules, that gives us a framework for deciding about such cases, which is immensely helpful. Still, it leaves me a little bit unsure about where the decision at hand (concerning Ulmo's counsel of war) fits in. Do we consider our former decision to exclude it to have been made by a vote or by unanimous agreement?
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote