View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
arathorn
Animated Skeleton

arathorn has just left Hobbiton.
Well yes I lean toward the opinion that these quotes embody different ideas, but again I've said it's quite possible (if more strained in my opinion) that these quotes agree with each other -- and I know I've said that much more than once now, at the least in other conversations with you elsewhere.

Yes that's exactly what I was talking about, you should in other threads at least tell the other possibility not just when I say otherwise or someone else.[/u][/u][/u]

Wel I don't happen to agree I'm 'over-thinking' things, including when I interpret Tolkien's description in reaction to P. Baynes artwork (I really need an easier term for this text) compared to the description in ODAM -- I interpreted these things that way naturally.

But man there are many and much more contradicted things. I don't think we should get stuck in another contradiction when it simply can get match perfectly and while there is no other passage that support that idea.

If that's your answer to why you trust Christopher Tolkien over Hammond and Scull here then you've really lost me, as you seem to be saying that since Christopher Tolkien published Of Dwarves And Men, but not Tolkien's reactions to Pauline Bayne's artwork, then the former has more weight than the latter.

I just think that Christopher should have access to that passage since he talked about Eldar height more than once and I talked about Feanor thing to say that what was written there(PME) was probably his latest thoughts.

If so I srongly disagree with that. I think you are jumping to conclusions based on some imagined motive or opinion of Christopher Tolkien's about the weighting of texts.

I think I would put more weight in latest writings given by Christopher than Hammond (not that the latter is wrong). Anyway in my interpretation both say the same thing so we can forget about that...

CJRT also didn't publish Tolkien's Osanwe-Kenta for example, or all the notes to The Shibboleth of Feanor, but there is no indication from him that he thinks these texts are 'lesser' for having been given to other scholars to publish and comment on.

Agreed It's just that if some of them publish something different and contradictory with the same topic Christopher already published many times that should mean Christopher already have the knowledge and chose to ignore or he didn't know (which isn't likely).

You guess? Are you sure

Yeah sometimes you prefer to put more contradiction in a work that already has a lot of them and I must admit that ****es me off sometimes. Although currently I'm kind off accustomed with that.
arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote