View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #19
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerniesApple View Post
As regards GOT, HBO seem to be heavily consulting Martin at every step, and if the author himself agrees with the changes I dont see how anyone can moan about it. I think there is mutual respect between the two, and that is key. Respect. I think Martin is also open to fans voicing their concerns over character deaths too, ie nobody wants Tyrion to die in future episodes, and Martin may take that on board as he is writing, or the producers may give him a nudge if things are looking squishybloody. It seems a good way to do a show.
I think you are a little too optimistic.

Lately, Martin seems to have been distancing himself more from the show, especially as the details of the show move further away from some of the details of his story.

Then there is also the inevitability that the TV show will pass the books and provide an ending to the series before Martin can (I happen to be in the camp of believing that the TV series ending will be largely the same as the intended ending of the novels.)

Now, this is not to say that Martin has distanced himself from the show in the same way that, for example, Christopher Tolkien has distanced himself from the movies.