View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 03:00 AM   #129
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Sorry for interrupting....

I know you're all getting very intelectual at the moment on this particular thread, but I'd just like to add that a break in the enchantment isn't always a bad thing. For example if you are reminded of something from your childhood that makes you smile, or of a loved one, or a friend not seen in a long time, surely the enchantment has been broken if you are reminded that the 'real world' exisits; but surely this is not a bad thing?

It's nice to be enthralled by a tale and lost in the story/world, but isn'it better still if you are reminded of things forgotten or some 'real' thing? I think that this is a great thing and even though the enchantment must be broken for these things to happen. I like the idea that a novel can be personal, and that it can effect everyone in a different way. It seems to me that you seem to be arguing about why the enchantment is broken, you make it sound like a bad thing; but isn't this how/why a book can be so different to everyone? I think that if the enchanment is broken, sometimes this can add to the overall enchantment of the novel in the end. It allows you to personally identify with the work in a unique way.

Ok I'm done. Sorry if I babbled and if it's not all that intelligable (is that even a word?), but I tried.
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote