View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #94
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not privy to the contracts, of course, nor would anyone think it's any of my business. I do know that in publishing generally authors almost never have a say in cover design. The peculiar relationship between Unwin/HarperCollins and the Tolkiens stems from JRRT's personal relationship with Sir Stanley and Rayner, and Christopher and Rayner after that, and dates from Tolkien's having drawn the original Hobbit cover, and the core design of the original LR covers. I don't believe it's contractual or any more than an habitual courtesy- and covers UK hardbacks only.

I would be very surprised if HC offered additional compensation, since as it is Tolkien's estate enjoys the hugely lucrative half-profits deal JRRT struck, and I doubt any publisher would pay even more! Besides, HC's David Brawn quotes Christopher as saying "The Lord of the Rings would sell in a brown paper bag."

The Tolkien Trust

a quick Google turned these beneficiaries up in the first few pages:

Doctors Without Borders
Famine Action
The Simon Wiesenthal Center
Asylum Welcome
Landmine Action
The Woodland Trust
Womankind (equal rights and female-owned businesses in developing countries)
World Wildlife Foundation
Forced Migration Review
Create (fine arts for poor children)
University of Manitoba Medical School
Who Cares?
Mind (rights and independent living support for the mentally ill and handicapped).
Story Museum
Oxford Literary Festival
The Porch Stepping Stone Foundation (homeless relief)
Bath & North East Somerset Community Safety & Drugs Partnership
Royal National Institute of Blind People
St Peter’s Church, Eynsham (new roof)
The Big Issue Foundation (homeless relief)
Breakthrough (breast cancer research)
St Mary's Hall, Stonyhurst College
Prisoners' Education Trust

and 3400 more hits....